Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/electro-hydraulic-power-steering-14993.html)

Giants1 11-10-2010 11:53 AM

Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else on this forum... I could not find it if it was. I know that the EHPS was slated for a production date 0f 11/15/10. However I have three questions:

First, is this going to be an option, or is this going to be replacing the current steering application?

Second, I was just informed that my Overland was built on 11/8/10:)....with a delivery date of 11/19/10. My question is if the new EHPS (if now standard) could have been applied to my vehicle, considering it was built just the week before.....or is the 11/15/10 an absolute beginning date for production.

Finally, if my vehicle does not have the EHPS, what exactly am I missing out on?:confused: Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

jeep2011 11-10-2010 12:10 PM

Re: Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

As far as I know the new steering system is on all the V6 models. The Hemi models will keep the regular power steering setup.

Technosavant 11-10-2010 03:02 PM

The electric power steering removes load from the engine, theoretically improving fuel efficiency by a small amount. Some implementations of this have also lessened steering feel, but I don't know of anybody who has yet driven a WK2 with it.

It is going to be the standard power steering system, not an option. I'm not sure why they didn't just use the electric from the get go rather than make this change so early on in production (we aren't even halfway into its first model year). As for whether the Hemi will retain the current belt driven type I cannot say, I do not know.

MSCA 11-10-2010 05:31 PM

Technology is great, but I wonder about electric steering assist. It will help for sure to remove the load from a belt-driven power steering pump, but then again the alternator will have an additional load to supply the extra current for the electric assist.

Either way, it seems that the electrical demands are continually going up on modern vehicles. I bet it won't be long before we start to see 24-volt electical systems. There's only so much they can get out of a 12-volt system.

KMDColo 11-10-2010 07:45 PM

Does the Hemi still use the power steering pump to run the cooling fan?

Technosavant 11-10-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 299282)
Either way, it seems that the electrical demands are continually going up on modern vehicles. I bet it won't be long before we start to see 24-volt electical systems. There's only so much they can get out of a 12-volt system.

I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. They've been talking about it, but it's a lot to change.

Personally, I'd be happy to see them switch from that idiot cig lighter plug to a 12V DC power plug that is smaller and holds things more securely; there's no reason to stick with that outdated socket.

Giants1 11-10-2010 11:02 PM

Ok thanks for the input....so it may not be better overall considering it is a new technology that may reduce steering feel.

MSCA 11-11-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 299383)
I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. They've been talking about it, but it's a lot to change.

Yeah, me too. With all of the crazy electrical demands on modern cars, they should have switched over to 24-volt electrical systems by now. I'm sure it's coming in the future though...

The other thing that surprises me is that we're still using OBD-II for diagnostics. They've been talking about OBD-III for many years now, but still no switch. IIRC, OBD-II has been around since 1996.

Cherodude 11-15-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giants1 (Post 299067)
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else on this forum... I could not find it if it was. I know that the EHPS was slated for a production date 0f 11/15/10...

Any news about whether this steering change is happening on Nov. 15 as expected?

Milous, after you have gotten some sleep maybe you can check? Thanks for all your work! :)

Lingohocken 11-15-2010 02:35 PM

Would be great if somebody could A-B the hydraulic and electrical versions to see how feel and on-center are impacted.

Giants1 11-15-2010 08:05 PM

No I have not been able to confirm if they indeed began production today on the EHPS. Not sure if today was set in stone or if they could have been installed on vehicles built just before 11/15/10.....anyone?