Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dealer prep/inspect/clean (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dealer-prep-inspect-clean-15004.html)

Butler 11-10-2010 02:30 PM

Dealer prep/inspect/clean

Once an ordered vehicle gets to the dealer, how long does it take for them to clean/inspect/prep the vehicle to get it ready for delivery to the customer i.e. me?

parker 11-10-2010 02:37 PM

Re: Dealer prep/inspect/clean

About 30 min. to an hour once they start.

bebe 11-10-2010 04:01 PM

30 minutes ? After what I saw at our dealer, they need to take a wee bit longer than that to clean and prep. Nothing serious. But a greasy residue on a lot of the control buttons, black smudges on the beige seats. Maybe they were in a hurry, but I thought prep and clean, means just that !!

wk2overland 11-10-2010 05:10 PM

mine got to the dealer at around 5 in the evening and i was driving it by 10am the next day.
that means that they prepped it between opening and when i picked it up, about 1 hr.

MSCA 11-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebe (Post 299251)
30 minutes ? After what I saw at our dealer, they need to take a wee bit longer than that to clean and prep. Nothing serious. But a greasy residue on a lot of the control buttons, black smudges on the beige seats. Maybe they were in a hurry, but I thought prep and clean, means just that !!

I used to work at a dealership as a tech and I can tell you that the "prep" part and the "clean" part are done by different people. The mechanics do what the call a "PDI" (pre-delivery inspection), which is basically a check list to make sure everything works on the vehicle. It also includes installing the license plate frames (usually drilled into the front bumper), installing body plugs, and other misc. stuff. Then the car goes to the detailers who remove all the plastic from the interior, install the floor mats, and then wash and dry the vehicle. You shouldn't have any dirt on the seats or anywhere since everything should stay wrapped in plastic until right before you take delivery of the vehicle.

The PDI typically takes about 15 minutes tops and the detail guys usually spend around 20 minutes on their part.

DJWeaver 11-10-2010 07:42 PM

Are the JGC delivered to the dealership wrapped in protective plastic?

MSCA 11-11-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJWeaver (Post 299335)
Are the JGC delivered to the dealership wrapped in protective plastic?

The interior is definitely wrapped in plastic (seats, steering wheel, etc..) and my guess is that the exterior has sheets of plastic stuck onto the horizontal surfaces. That's how most new vehicles are delivered to dealerships these days.

tks2010 11-11-2010 07:08 PM

I don't think the outside has plastic on the roof. They just gave it a quick wash and let me see it before it was detailed since it was getting dark. It had bird poop all over the roof.

NYCSRTATE 11-11-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebe (Post 299251)

Thats why as soon as I purchased mine they moved it out of the showroom and they asked me if they could prep it, I told them HELLS no ill take it as is and ill wash etc it myself.

GlowingGhoul 11-11-2010 08:17 PM

Tell your dealer NOT to wax your Jeep if you don't want swirls in your paint.

The dealership "detailers" are not going to do a careful wash-wash again-hand wax-hand buff.

It's going to be: quick spray, wipe down with a dirty towel, squirt kmart liquid wax, polish with high speed buffer (using a bonnet impregnated enough dirt to be a medium grit sandpaper).

Robert Palmer 11-11-2010 08:18 PM

Dont let the dealer prep it!