Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Gas smell with Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/gas-smell-with-hemi-15028.html)

1 GRAND 11-11-2010 08:54 AM

Gas smell with Hemi
 
Over the last few weeks I have noticed a raw gas smell coming from the Jeep. I smell it when entering and exiting the Jeep. I looked under the hood last night and could smell gas the strongest on the passenger side around the firewall. Over the last 1500 miles it has used a quart of oil but never smokes out the exhaust and I have no drip marks on the driveway. And it is ticking something fierce when it sits and idles. The Jeep has 63,000 miles on it and has not been abused. It has been serviced every 3000 miles with Mobil1.

Any ideas on what may be going on here?

Thanks!

ekaz 11-11-2010 09:05 AM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
The fuel that comes from the tank is by the firewall on the passenger side, I'd check to make sure it isn't leaking and check the lines going to the fuel rails.
As for the ticking, is the oil level correct? Did the ticking just start or just louder now?

Walt 11-11-2010 10:52 AM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 299577)
Over the last few weeks I have noticed a raw gas smell coming from the Jeep. I smell it when entering and exiting the Jeep. I looked under the hood last night and could smell gas the strongest on the passenger side around the firewall. Over the last 1500 miles it has used a quart of oil but never smokes out the exhaust and I have no drip marks on the driveway. And it is ticking something fierce when it sits and idles. The Jeep has 63,000 miles on it and has not been abused. It has been serviced every 3000 miles with Mobil1.

Any ideas on what may be going on here?

Thanks!

Oil use: Check PCV valve (right rear of engine).

Ticking: Renew EGR valve, if not done within last 20K miles. Some HEMI tick at cold start is normal. Serpentine belt is due at 60K miles also. Can do both at same time.

1 GRAND 11-11-2010 02:28 PM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekaz (Post 299580)
The fuel that comes from the tank is by the firewall on the passenger side, I'd check to make sure it isn't leaking and check the lines going to the fuel rails.
As for the ticking, is the oil level correct? Did the ticking just start or just louder now?

It has always had the ticking. The oil level is correct.
I will check the line. Thanks alot.

1 GRAND 11-11-2010 02:35 PM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 299621)
Oil use: Check PCV valve (right rear of engine).

Ticking: Renew EGR valve, if not done within last 20K miles. Some HEMI tick at cold start is normal. Serpentine belt is due at 60K miles also. Can do both at same time.

I will replace the pcv valve.

How do I renew the egr valve? Is that something I just buy to replace? Thanks Ryan

Walt 11-13-2010 10:02 AM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 299761)
I will replace the pcv valve.

How do I renew the egr valve? Is that something I just buy to replace? Thanks Ryan

Several of the jeep forums have good "how-to's" and tips threads on EGR replacement. If your serpentine belt is due, might as well do it concurrently to make the job easier.

5.7L HEMI EGR valve is a single component mounted RHS front of the exhaust manifold. It's just behind the alternator (which is why you want to read the tips in the "how-to's" before you tackle the job). EGR valve cost is $50-60, depending where you buy it.

EGR valve function is to recirculate exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, thereby reducing combustion temperature, limiting the formation of oxides of nitrogen.

gsb6829 11-18-2010 09:43 PM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Hey 1 Grand - I also have a 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland with 40k miles, and I have the exact same issues that you do. The gas smell comes in through the air vents when stopped, the engine makes a pretty clear ticking sound when idling, and it burns about a quart of oil about every 3,000 miles.

I have heard/read that the oil burning and the tick sound are normal for the hemi engine, but I still don't like them. The gas smell is a different story. I have had the car to the dealer twice to try and resolve it with no luck.

The dealer thought it was a leaking fuel injector. After about $1000 and a day at the dealer the smell was no better.

This is the first I have heard about the EGR valve. Please let me know if you have any luck with changing this. As you know the smell is very annoying and I would really like to get it resolved.

Thanks!

Walt 11-19-2010 07:39 PM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsb6829 (Post 303603)
Hey 1 Grand - I also have a 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland with 40k miles, and I have the exact same issues that you do. The gas smell comes in through the air vents when stopped, the engine makes a pretty clear ticking sound when idling, and it burns about a quart of oil about every 3,000 miles.

I have heard/read that the oil burning and the tick sound are normal for the hemi engine, but I still don't like them. The gas smell is a different story. I have had the car to the dealer twice to try and resolve it with no luck.....This is the first I have heard about the EGR valve. Please let me know if you have any luck with changing this. As you know the smell is very annoying and I would really like to get it resolved.....

Look at the solenoid vent valve from the fuel tank emissions system. It's in the area of the power distribution area, behind the battery on the LHS of the engine compartment. This valve is supposed to stay closed until after the engine starts (...and I think warms up) to let gasoline vapors into the intake manifold.

Could be that it is stuck open, so fumes are escaping when the engine is stopped. If your other investigations do not pan out, I would check that component. However, it is on the opposite side from where you originally reported the gas smell.

As I said in my first post, new EGR valve & 5W-20 full synthetic oil made my HEMI tick go away.

BTW: I consistently use 1-1.5 qts oil every 5K miles (since it was new). Chrysler says it is within normal limits (WNL). :screwy: I don't believe that the engine is really burning it, rather it's being sucked into the intake via the crankcase vent and PCV valve. At least with the oil catch can installed, it's not getting into the intake manifold.

075.7WK 11-19-2010 08:05 PM

Re: Gas smell with Hemi
 
As related to the gas smell(although not from the front); I had my evac cannister replaced on warranty due to a strong gas smell after refueling. I was told that topping-off after refueling caused it. I was warned not to top-off ever again...lol. I think it was because I ripped the little hose between the fill tube and the tank off while wheeling(heresay....I know).

I must say though, that the ball check system on my Jeep (2007) does make a good argument for not topping off. No problems since I quit fueling at the pump click.

Not sure if this helps ....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community