Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Transparent film on the corners of rear doors (outside) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/transparent-film-on-the-corners-of-rear-doors-outside-15083.html)

JoeSchmoe007 11-12-2010 07:07 PM

Transparent film on the corners of rear doors (outside)

Wasn't it supposed to be removed? I think there was a thread about that but can't find it anymore. This piece of film is rather small and I can't tell what it protects against.

pbm317 11-12-2010 07:12 PM

Re: Transparent film on the corners of rear doors (outside)

While I can't speak directly for the Grand Cherokee as I don't have one, lots of cars have something like this lately, and it's to protect from the rocks that get flung up from the front tires and the road.

MeanDean 11-12-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 300485)
Wasn't it supposed to be removed? I think there was a thread about that but can't find it anymore. This piece of film is rather small and I can't tell what it protects against.

I wondered the same thing. Obivously 'pbm317' isn't quite clear what you are talking about. I saw a thread on this yesterday but the general concensus was nobody really knew.

MeanDean 11-12-2010 07:42 PM

Found the thread... Here it is.

JoeSchmoe007 11-12-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 300505)
Found the thread... Here it is.

This is not it

skinny 11-12-2010 10:58 PM

You are talking about right behind the passenger doors on the lower part? I asked the same question when I brought mine home. Turns out it's to protect against rocks chipping the paint.

SMG1 11-13-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 300501)
I wondered the same thing. Obivously 'pbm317' isn't quite clear what you are talking about. I saw a thread on this yesterday but the general concensus was nobody really knew.

pbm317 is correct. You'll find the same thing on the new Camaro, CTS, Silverado and countless other vehicles. It's a nice gift from the manufacturer to keep the front tires from spitting anything and everything at that area in front of the rear wheels (as happens on my SRT8).

MeanDean 11-13-2010 08:59 AM

My apologies to 'pbm317'.

wk2overland 11-13-2010 10:02 AM

don't remove it. youll have rock chips like none other right there. its there to protect.