Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Need coolant asap... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/need-coolant-asap-15125.html)

socalwk 11-14-2010 02:00 PM

Need coolant asap...

All the Jeep parts and service places are closed today. I need my rig running by tonight. Does anyone use coolant that is equal to the Mopar Stuff? I have an autozone, pepboys, and o'reilly near me.

robpp 11-14-2010 02:34 PM

Re: Need coolant asap...

zerex G 05

socalwk 11-14-2010 07:41 PM

So I filled up the tub in the engine bay with coolant and filled in about 3/4 of a gallon bottle into the radiator. Turned the car on and it runs fine but I see air bubbles coming up through the coolant tub in the engine bay. I thought I would need more to fill the system up.

Also I turned on the warm air and warm air did not blow out. Any suggestions?

Joe

robpp 11-14-2010 07:51 PM

drive the car. stay local, bring the stuff with you. put the ehat on. let it get up to tamp then go home and park it. walk away for an hour while it cools. then check that recovery tank. it should keep sucking that dry until its completely full.

eventually it will suck the stuff from the recovery tank and you just keep putting it in there. DO NOT TAKE THE RAD CAP OFF ANYMORE.

my 04.7 has a bleed screw near the thermo......IIRC an allen that can be removed to let air out that way. if not eventually it will suck it in thru the recovery.

socalwk 11-14-2010 08:08 PM

Just ran it...got up to temp pretty fast. Came back, parked it, looked in the bay and the engine was guzzling the coolant from the tub. Will run it again in about 40 minutes.

What do you mean by ehat?

And thank you for your responses.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-14-2010 08:16 PM

is it leaking anywhere? why were you so low?

socalwk 11-14-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 301233)
is it leaking anywhere? why were you so low?

Because I got about 1 gallon into the tub, and only 3/4 of a gallon down the radiator cap. Which is no where near enough.

So I drive it, the engine sucks it up from the coolant tub, refill, let engine cool, drive around until it gets to temp etc., park it, refill tub, and repeat process till there is enough coolant in the engine.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-14-2010 08:22 PM

i know that, but why were you so low to begin with.

socalwk 11-14-2010 08:23 PM

Oh....because my water pump went bad....so I changed it out today and flushed the coolant as well.

robpp 11-14-2010 09:02 PM

i meant put the HEAT on so it fills up that too.

sounds like the rest of it is working as planned.

socalwk 11-14-2010 09:34 PM

Gotcha thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. You guys rock!

socalwk 11-14-2010 10:21 PM

I see a small amount of clear fluid...probably coolant on the corner of the block that the big lower circle pully (for the timing belt) is attached to, to the right of thermostat (if you are looking at the front head on). It's not on the thermostat connection itself. Looks like a calcium build up actually. I assumed this was was the result of water leaking from the water pump.

I noticed this before my pump went out...it guess I will monitor over the next few days.