Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Brake Uprade Options (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/brake-uprade-options-15161.html)

daleviewrd 11-15-2010 04:44 PM

Brake Uprade Options

We love our new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After a lot of snooping around this forum, crawling over other web sites, and debating on what I wanted Jeep to build -- couldn't take it any more and we went out and bought the hemi powered dark characol pearl beauty with the 20 inch rims. The conservate part of me wanted that v6 with the 18 inch rims and off road package - but like every kid at Christmas - I couldn't wait.

We put a couple hundred miles on this wonderful ride this weekend.

The only question I have now - does anyone have leads on low to medium costs ways to improve the braking. Our other cars, Infinity, corvette and even my dodge diesel - tend to have a much firmer pedal and haul you down to a stop more quickly.

Thx in advance for your assistance

Rich

Marlin 11-15-2010 05:17 PM

Re: Brake Uprade Options

Firstly, congrats on your purchase, and I'm glad you finally spoke up :)

Now, onto the brakes.
One should not confuse brake "feel" with brake "power".
Manufacturers spend time engineering the feel into the brake pedal that they think most customers will be happy with. That's right, nothing on a vehicle in this day and age happens just buy chance, everything is engineered to feel like "this", or sound like "this".

So, if you are happy with the braking "power" of your Jeep, and by that I mean if you were to stand on the middle pedal it will stop you in a reasonable distance, which is has to by law, and you simply wish to have a "touchier" feel to the brake pedal, it is quite simple.
Whether you want to actually do it rather than just adapt to the feel over time is another thing altogether :)

Simply have the brake master cylinder machined/bored to accept a larger diameter piston and seal. This is quite commonly done within the aftermarket.

I would suggest a small diameter increase, approx 30 thousands of an inch would have a marked difference.

Why it does this is simple, for XXX travel of the master cylinder (which is directly attached to your brake pedal), the master cylinder shifts more fluid to the calipers, meaning your brake pads contact the brake rotor earlier in the brake pedal travel, creating a touchier feel.

GlowingGhoul 11-15-2010 05:33 PM

I agree. While the brake isn't as sensitive to light pressure as some other vehicles I've had, I've had to make a few emergency stops from high speed, and brake performance was impressive.

whatevrworks 11-15-2010 06:09 PM

If your jeep does not come with the HD brakes (i guess that would mean you do not have the Class IV tow package) then you could always swap factory HD pads and or rotors. Or just wait a few months and there will be a variety of aftermarket slotted and cross-drilled rotors that I am sure will appear. Although even with the HD package you probably wont see a big difference usually the only real advantage is better heat resistance and maybe heavier rotors that are less likely to warp when stopping heavy loads such as when towing a trailer. For what it is worth my limited 18 inch wheels, 5.7 with class IV tow (hd brakes) stops pretty freakin quick. If you compare to some audi and mercedes CARS then there is a large difference in feel but that is normal between different size vehicles.

GlowingGhoul 11-15-2010 06:44 PM

He must have the HD brakes, becuase he has the Hemi Overland, which comes with the tow package standard.

By the way, I was told that there was no difference in braking systems in the WK2, despite the "HD Brakes" option. This is not true. Checking parts, the rotors for the HD brakes have a different part number and cost about twice as much as the non-HD rotors. I haven't found info on the pads and calipers yet.

whatevrworks 11-15-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 301704)
He must have the HD brakes, becuase he has the Hemi Overland, which comes with the tow package standard.

By the way, I was told that there was no difference in braking systems in the WK2, despite the "HD Brakes" option. This is not true. Checking parts, the rotors for the HD brakes have a different part number and cost about twice as much as the non-HD rotors. I haven't found info on the pads and calipers yet.

Check my post on the "Creaking Brake" thread, I posted HD and standard part numbers for front and rear pads and rotors.

daleviewrd 11-15-2010 07:58 PM

Re: Brake Upgrade Options

Thanks Marlin / Goul / Whatever - I do appreciate the quick responses.

My daily driver is the 97 dodge RAM diesel - when that don't stop quick enough we just nudge em.

As suggested, I will drive a few more miles to get a "better feel" and I will do the panic stop test some time when my wife is not riding with me acting as my personal driving coach. :-)

BTW - I think my wife has her eyes on the Jeep after only a few short trips. Where in those marriage vows - did it say "even steven"

Rich

Marlin 11-15-2010 08:00 PM

Rich, if "the wife" is attractive, and decides that dentures really are for her, then I would suggest she be allowed :p

VANT4GE 11-18-2010 02:45 PM

Does anyone know if the SRT8 Brembo rotors and calipers will bolt right up to the 2011's?

Scottina06 11-18-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANT4GE (Post 303377)
Does anyone know if the SRT8 Brembo rotors and calipers will bolt right up to the 2011's?

measure the bolt distance on the knuckle and we can go from there. The rotor will DEF. work...it just depends on the bolt spacing for your calipers.

kolky 11-19-2010 05:58 PM

If you ever decide you want to swap those 20's out for 18's to do some off roading let me know. I'd be willing to trade plus throw in some $$$.

Mine came with the 18s but I really wanted 20s.

joenjulie 10-29-2012 10:46 PM

i'm looking for rotor/pad upgrade for my grand as well. I have the hemi, and tow pkg with the "HD" brakes. I've done some searching, and I found EBC rotors and pads, just not sure I trust some of the websites that I'm truly getting the "HD" tow pkg brakes vs the "regular" rotors. I've seen big price differences between websites, but that doesn't mean anything. Anybody got anything on this? Thanks