Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Where to get OME 2" lift? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/where-to-get-ome-2-lift-15192.html)

2005JGC 11-16-2010 03:11 PM

Where to get OME 2" lift?

I feel like a douch being that my first post is probably a decently common question. I have been through a large portion of the stickied thread about suspension goodies and I have just not seen the information I am looking for.

My concern, I see that Rocky Road Outfitters carrys the kit, awesome, 730 bucks shipped. My concern is that via another wk forum I have seen that there have been alot of problems with RRO with things like timely delivery.

I actually just purchased my white 2005 laredo 4.7l and its in need of a head gasket and possibly some trans work. Im a chrysler tech and the vehicle is actually sitting at work on a hoist while the heads are in the machine shop getting cleaned up and ready to reinstall.

My problem is (hopefully most of you guys can relate) the wife knows this is going to be a decent chunk of change but she doesnt know how much, combine with her lack of seeing the vehicle, if I have ANY chance of getting this lifted with anything other than a BB spacer lift (which may be what I go with anyway) I need the suspension goodies at my door in the next like 2-3 weeks at the latest. The last thing I need is to get the vehicle done and home only to have a large box show up while the wife is home, the way I see it spent money is fair game until the repairs end ha ha then I have no excuses for where money went...

btw even if I have to buy a trans from chrysler (following engine repairs it will be driven to get the scoop on the trans), head work and all new mopar timing components/gaskets/seals Ill have about 4-4.5k into this vehicle, leather, navigation, rear dvd, new tires, new brakes... so I have about 500-1000 dollars to blow and the wife will still be happy, even then ill be into it a decent chunk less than its worth!

Thanks for any help, sorry for the long winded post, ill try to keep them shorter from here on out. :cool:

05wkguy 11-16-2010 08:20 PM

Re: Where to get OME 2" lift?

My .02 cents: Buy the budget lift (Rough Country is what i went with based on price and quality) and get a set of Bilstein struts/shocks. Less money (about $550) and almost the same ride quality. OME does use different springs which are supposed to give you a better ride but the factory ones with the Bilsteins are VERY close.

2005JGC 11-17-2010 01:33 AM

Yours has an excelent stance, so much so your I feel cheap being bought out by only 2 cents... If you didnt have that picture in your signature I would still be drooling over the OME lift.

Is the ride decently stiff with the bilstiens and the spacers? I dont want to feel all tippy and, I dont have anything to tow currently (havent had a rig) but I dont want it to be a big vag and be dragging the hitch with a flatbed trailer, guess if Im worried about that I can add some airbag spring helpers to the rear. I understand there is alot to that, tounge weight and all... I would like a nice stiff ride, and if the bilstiens achieve that it sounds good to me.

05wkguy 11-17-2010 03:09 AM

To be honest, i have modified the lift a bit for more height. It's closer to a 3" -3.5" suspension left. I was worried the truck would be too soft for my taste, especially since i went from a 99% SRT suspension (SRT-8 sways,endlinks,Eibachs,20" rims and WK Eibachs) So i raised it up about 6" from it's old ride height. I'm now running the 17" rims,factory springs and the same Bilsteins. Not disappointed in the ride at all. There is definately more body lean but overall the truck does not feel unsafe going around cornors, even at decent speeds,no bounciness or tippyness either.

I'd say if you shop smart, and only buy parts that can be used in the future, then go in steps. I'd be willing to bet that my same setup would make you very happy.

Just to throw another moneky wrench into things, what about the OME HD kit? 3" lift and stiffer springs and shocks. Same price as the MD kit, but gives a tighter ride. Food for thought.

2005JGC 11-17-2010 11:15 AM

the OME HD kit is the one I would have purchased from the get go... I dont want a bone jaring ride but im not looking for an 87 cadilac either.

thanks for the info.

OBXJeep 11-17-2010 11:28 AM

I've got the RRO spacer kit and bilstein HDs and with whatever lift you go with I'm sure the bilsteins are a definate addition that need to be made.

2005JGC 11-17-2010 01:01 PM

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup: