Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Pet-peeve... wax on textured plastic! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/pet-peeve-wax-on-textured-plastic-15194.html)

trebliw 11-16-2010 03:55 PM

Pet-peeve... wax on textured plastic!

Does anyone else hate seeing wax dried up on textured parts of your ride? Well, I HATE IT WITH A PASSSION. I try really hard to make sure I don't get wax on those parts then weeks later you see wax come out of nowhere in those areas. Any advice on how to remove and avoid this in the near future? I used to tape those parts but I thought that was a bit OCD and figured I'd just take it easy but no matter what it still happens! :confused::eek::mad::(:giveup::detailer:

DavidESchiller 11-16-2010 04:15 PM

Re: Pet-peeve... wax on textured plastic!

try Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax. it doesn't mark up plastic at all. hell, you can actually use it on the plastic if you want to, it will give it a nice wet look. I've used it on my cars for 2 years now and I'm really happy with it.

and sorry, but I have no idea how to get the residue off either :confused:

Scottina06 11-16-2010 04:34 PM

sorry....but that Ice stuff is crap and doesnt last a week

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-16-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidESchiller (Post 302270)
try Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax. it doesn't mark up plastic at all. hell, you can actually use it on the plastic if you want to, it will give it a nice wet look. I've used it on my cars for 2 years now and I'm really happy with it.

and sorry, but I have no idea how to get the residue off either :confused:

that is what i use and it works great:thumbsup:

jmckenzie 11-16-2010 04:47 PM

I've been looking for an answer too, it kills me to see the residue on my license plate frame & other parts

DAVY27 11-16-2010 07:01 PM

yea, same here. i was doing my detail last week when i decided to try and get rid of those whitish marks on the textured parts. what i did was i applied a lot of pressure with a microfiber towel and just "wipe" it away. kinda surprised it worked.

someone also suggested using a pink eraser in one of the detailing threads

attilahooper 11-16-2010 08:37 PM

Vinylex. http://www.lexol.com/images/auto_vin2.jpg This shit is retarded.

Degreased and washed the engine bay and worked this into all the plastic and hoses. The shine just lasts and lasts.

Marlin 11-16-2010 08:42 PM

I don't even wax my girlfriend... I get someone else to.

So I dunno what the guy who waxes my Jeep uses??? Maybe the same stuff as on my girl? :p

DJ BoNiOmArIo 11-16-2010 09:22 PM

lolololol @ Benno

Use some mothers back to black before waxing on plastic parts so that when ur done waxing u can wipe off the wax on plastic easy

TheAngryMinnow 11-17-2010 01:02 AM

i use meg's professional 16 and dont have that prob?

DavidESchiller 11-17-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 302280)
sorry....but that Ice stuff is crap and doesnt last a week

I've heard a couple people say things along the lines of that but I'm crazy anal about car care and I can't say I've really had any negative results with it. I have and use just about every Ice product there is and I was especially happy with their wheel cleaner.

trebliw 11-17-2010 09:58 AM

I'll have to try this Ice stuff. I currently use Mother's carnuaba wax and black magic for my wheels and tires. Mother's (for me) is pretty good; after a good down-pour, the water still beads up. As for the black magic, it's good for a week but then kinda rubs off after a good rainfall. My only big problem are these wax spots on the plastic. Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions!:thumbsup: