Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Key left the car ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/key-left-the-car-15198.html)

Ventzi 11-16-2010 07:58 PM

Key left the car ?

Any one getting this message.When the passenger live the car getting this message

NYCSRTATE 11-16-2010 08:19 PM

Re: Key left the car ?

Say again? Huh?

If you leave the car running with the PTS on it will give you a message on the EVIC informing you that the key has left the vehicle.

Technosavant 11-16-2010 08:22 PM

If you get that message when the passenger leaves the vehicle, make the passenger leave the key with you.

foggy 11-16-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 302390)
If you get that message when the passenger leaves the vehicle, make the passenger leave the key with you.

And......so, if you forget to get the key...will it keep running? :rolleyes:

NYCSRTATE 11-16-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggy (Post 302400)
And......so, if you forget to get the key...will it keep running? :rolleyes:

If you put it in drive it should shut the engine off.

mhurst 11-16-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSRTATE (Post 302401)
If you put it in drive it should shut the engine off.

I tested this tonight, it allows you to keep driving. Even if you place the vehicle into Park, and then back into Drive... :confused: lol

jeep2011 11-16-2010 09:34 PM

Yes but it does warn you the key is not inside the vehicle. I would assume it is a safety issue if the car just shuts off when they key isn't present. What if the battery died on the fob while you were driving down the interstate or when you pulled up to a stop light....

Why would you want it to shut off?

bpmcgee 11-16-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 302454)
Why would you want it to shut off?

One word -- carjacking. Or two words - car jacking.

jeep2011 11-16-2010 09:50 PM

Ok, so you would prefer the person robbing you to not be able to drive off. So then he gets out of the vehicle and comes after you for the key. I would rather the person drive off with my jeep then threaten my life a second time.

Mattwilkins 11-16-2010 10:51 PM

I have had multiple vehicles with a start button ignition. A Mazda CX-9, a Mercedes Coupe, and a Acura TL, and NONE of these cars would shut off when the key left the car. It is a fairly common occurrence in my family because I wouldn't even grab keys when my wife was with me since she always kept her keys in her purse. If she got out the car would still run. I dont think any car will shut off when the key leaves the vehicle.

bpmcgee 11-16-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 302476)
Ok, so you would prefer the person robbing you to not be able to drive off. So then he gets out of the vehicle and comes after you for the key. I would rather the person drive off with my jeep then threaten my life a second time.

The brief delay in them figuring out that the car won't run is all the time I need to get my chainsaw fired up!:nutkick:

RenegadeNY 11-17-2010 09:48 AM

so now what happens when you get to your destination, turn off the engine and leave. Come back later to find out the keys are not on you but with your spouse, 25 miles away.

Can somebody spell s-c-r-e-w-e-d?