Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Lift issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/lift-issues-15209.html)

Camaro614 11-16-2010 10:49 PM

Lift issues

Has any body read the segment on the Rocky Road website? "
A WORD ON TALLER LIFTS... We receive calls and emails all the time from folks who lifted their WK Grand Cherokee with 3-4" lift kits and have major problems with alignment, axle durability, and other drivetrain issues. Looking for experts who actually KNOW this Jeep and not finding help at the companies that originally sold them the lifts... they ultimately work their way to Rocky Road for assistance. We explain to them the dangers of lifting over 2.5". What our early testing showed on drivetrain damage and alignment problems. And why our systems avoid these expensive complications. Inevitably the only fix for their problems is to remove the lift kit they originally bought, then buy a proper/correct kit from Rocky Road, and all problems are solved. If you are researching options, do yourself a favor and skip the headaches, expense, and problems of the other systems and get it right from the start by choosing Rocky Road. Otherwise in the end... you may find yourself coming back and buying with us anyway to fix someone else's problems." Has anybody experienced any issues like this with say a 4" lift?????

2005JGC 11-17-2010 02:58 AM

Re: Lift issues

I havent personally but heard a tech talking about an XK commander that came in regularly for axles that had torn cv boots.

What they say (while sales pitchy) makes sense!

Camaro614 11-17-2010 11:21 AM

Superlift says their 4" retains factory driveline and cv angles so I don't see it being an issue of tearing cvs up.

dmlong47 11-17-2010 11:27 AM

HAD MY SUPERLIFT for 2 years now and had no issues but the bigger tires do wear on my trans oil

2005JGC 11-17-2010 01:05 PM

a superlift lowers the differential doesnt it? You wouldn't have large cv joint angles...
A lift of just springs or spacers that put you in the 3-4" range I imagine could cause problems. BTW if its not evident Im no guru, just mentioning what I was told.

2005JGC 11-17-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro614 (Post 302769)
Superlift says their 4" retains factory driveline and cv angles so I don't see it being an issue of tearing cvs up.

I know your just quoting superlifts claim, but that is not possible to retain both driveline AND cv joint angles, to move the wheels farther from the body the power has to get there one way or another, be it all in the driveline, all in the cv's or divided amongst the 2.

robpp 11-17-2010 01:43 PM

there are a few Superlift users here that have all sorts of miles on their WK. i would speak to them instead of trusting 1. superlift or 2. another vendor.

also, if you are lifting your rig 4 inches and putting 33's on it, you SHOULD be expecting that your are 'taxing' the rest of the truck in every way. so breaking stuff should be expected.

05wkguy 11-17-2010 09:25 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

w3rd