Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tire Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tire-question-15233.html)

Bosibus 11-17-2010 01:25 PM

Tire Question
 
I have a 2005 Laredo 4x4. I need fresh tires because as of right now, I am basically riding on bologna skins. I mainly drive in the city and want to get new tires before any snow. I do not do much off-roading what so ever but do take it to the beach and trips to the wive's family up North where the winters have plenty of snow.

Is it wise to move up a size to the 245/65/R17 or stay with the 235/65/R17? The difference in price for the Firestone Dest A/Ts is around $20 a tire?

Also, will it affect MPG?

AB Jeepster 11-17-2010 01:33 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
usually a bigger tire means more rolling resistance and therfore makes your engine work harder to push your ride around. you can check the tire size calculators spread around the 'net and figure out which size will suit you. I put 255/55/18's on my stock 18 inch rims for winter....

Bosibus 11-17-2010 01:48 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 302839)
usually a bigger tire means more rolling resistance and therfore makes your engine work harder to push your ride around. you can check the tire size calculators spread around the 'net and figure out which size will suit you. I put 255/55/18's on my stock 18 inch rims for winter....

Thanks, the 245/65/R17s are optional on wkjeeps (http://wkjeeps.com/wk_0509_compare.htm) and when I got to websites it tells me as much. I guess I am asking is the optional size tire better than the standard size tire?

thex2 11-17-2010 02:01 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosibus (Post 302859)
I guess I am asking is the optional size tire better than the standard size tire?

Just like anything else, it depends on your definition of "better."

This should help you out: http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html

amarkmtu 11-17-2010 02:02 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
If you are thinking about going to a bigger tire, than really take the plunge with Firestone Destination AT. I went from the standard 235/65/17 to a 255/70/17 in the AT's and they fit without rubbing. Here is a link to the thread with before and after pics of my 06 WK:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/new-tires-coming-soon-13647.html

IMO i think the WK looks better with the wider and taller tires. My MPG went down about 1.5mpg average and when my speedometer says 60 i am actually going 65.

Bosibus 11-17-2010 02:26 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amarkmtu (Post 302870)
If you are thinking about going to a bigger tire, than really take the plunge with Firestone Destination AT. I went from the standard 235/65/17 to a 255/70/17 in the AT's and they fit without rubbing. Here is a link to the thread with before and after pics of my 06 WK:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=13647

IMO i think the WK looks better with the wider and taller tires. My MPG went down about 1.5mpg average and when my speedometer says 60 i am actually going 65.

Thanks but I rather not deviate from what Jeep recommends for warranty reasons.

Also, thanks thex2 for the link. I guess when I mean "better", I mean smoother ride, better feel on the road at highway speeds, and how much it affects MPG. The link suggests go with a wider tire for what I feel is better. The wider tire here though is not as large I think as the link suggets.

I was hoping maybe someone else went from standard to optional and could tell me their results as well.

thex2 11-17-2010 03:01 PM

Re: Tire Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosibus (Post 302888)
Also, thanks thex2 for the link. I guess when I mean "better", I mean smoother ride, better feel on the road at highway speeds, and how much it affects MPG.

You want the wider for a smoother ride (it has a slightly larger sidewall which will absorb bumps more). You want the thinner for highway speeds (less friction... nicer ride). You want the thinner for MPG (less friction and lower ride height).

EDIT: also, I don't know what your budget is, but I'd recommend some Michelin LTX M/S or M/S2's over the Firestone if you're going for ride quality. The LTX M/S's will make it over 100K miles under normal driving conditions which should justify the additional cost in the long-run.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community