Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rearlift Froze and Won't Open (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rearlift-froze-and-wont-open-15305.html)

justin1569 11-19-2010 02:50 PM

Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Well we are under a deep freeze here in Edmonton, Alberta with temperatures hovering around -20 degrees C (-5 Fahrenheit). These temps come on the heels of a 4 inch snowfall that we received yesterday.

Anyways after work I went to open the hatch and it would try to open automatically and it didn't. It struggled then locked automatically. I tried several times and the same thing happened. I can't even force open it without the machine taking over and closing it. It was only when I pulled underground that it opened up. This is a big no no. It's not even that cold. We hit -25 and colder and I need to be able to open my hatch.

This shouldn't happen, and if so there should be a manual override that lets me deactivate the power hatch so I can open up the back manually. How embarassing is it when you can't open your trunk to load groceries? Seriously.

This should be recalled, big time. We had no freezing rain or anything. It was just frozen. If I washed the car and water froze and so on then fine...however this is not the case as my car had no water that melted and froze as it was very cold the entire day.:mad:

Red G8R 11-19-2010 02:57 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
That's unfortunate. Make sure the flipper glass is closed properly otherwise the liftgate won't open.

justin1569 11-19-2010 02:58 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Yeah I did, I thought that's what it was. except it made the beeping sound and tried to open which I wish you could toggle off by the way

IndyBob 11-19-2010 02:59 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
und this in the manual. It may or may not help.

The power liftgate will not operate in temperatures
below 22F (30C) or temperatures above 150F
(65C). Be sure to remove any buildup of snow or ice
from the liftgate before pressing any of the power
liftgate switches.
If the power liftgate encounters multiple obstructions
within the same cycle, the system will automatically
stop and the liftgate must be opened or closed manually.

If your liftgate is power closing and you put the
vehicle in gear, the liftgate will continue to power
close. However, vehicle movement may result in a

detection of an obstruction

justin1569 11-19-2010 03:01 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 303959)
und this in the manual. It may or may not help.

The power liftgate will not operate in temperatures
below 22F (30C) or temperatures above 150F
(65C). Be sure to remove any buildup of snow or ice
from the liftgate before pressing any of the power
liftgate switches.
If the power liftgate encounters multiple obstructions
within the same cycle, the system will automatically
stop and the liftgate must be opened or closed manually.

If your liftgate is power closing and you put the
vehicle in gear, the liftgate will continue to power
close. However, vehicle movement may result in a

detection of an obstruction

Thanks for that...another mistake made by jeep combined with the loss of power folding mirrors as most vehicles in Canada will be driven in temps below 22 fahrenheit for more then 6 months a year. Sounds like a potential recall if you asked me. Somewhat unacceptable

Nbtstatic 11-19-2010 03:06 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Those temps should say negative, heres what my manual says:


The power liftgate will not operate in temperatures
below -22F (-30C) or temperatures above 150F
(65C). Be sure to remove any buildup of snow or ice
from the liftgate before pressing any of the power
liftgate switches.

Nbtstatic 11-19-2010 03:08 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
It also says this:

If the power liftgate encounters multiple obstructions
within the same cycle, the system will automatically
stop and the liftgate must be opened or closed manually.

So you should be able to use it manually.

justin1569 11-19-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 303969)
Those temps should say negative, heres what my manual says:


The power liftgate will not operate in temperatures
below -22F (-30C) or temperatures above 150F
(65C). Be sure to remove any buildup of snow or ice
from the liftgate before pressing any of the power
liftgate switches.


Well I can assure you that my tailgate didn't open and temperatures were only around -5 Fahrenheit or -20 Celsius. Maybe...just maybe...some moisture got into the arms that lift and it froze...just maybe though...since I do live in a semi-arid portion of Canada....I'm curious what others will say once winter shifts further South

justin1569 11-19-2010 03:10 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 303970)
It also says this:

If the power liftgate encounters multiple obstructions
within the same cycle, the system will automatically
stop and the liftgate must be opened or closed manually.

So you should be able to use it manually.


How? if the arms are frozen? I tried but didn't want to break it. I'm sure I could have wedged it open but consequences would have followed.

Nbtstatic 11-19-2010 03:19 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin1569 (Post 303973)
Well I can assure you that my tailgate didn't open and temperatures were only around -5 Fahrenheit or -20 Celsius. Maybe...just maybe...some moisture got into the arms that lift and it froze...just maybe though...since I do live in a semi-arid portion of Canada....I'm curious what others will say once winter shifts further South


I understand, I was just trying to clear up the information that Bob posted. The hyphens indicating "negative" do not get copied when we are copying that paragraph form the pdf manual for whatever reason.

I thought the 22 F number seemed ridiculous so I had to take a look myself, then sure enough when I copied it the hyphens got dropped, thats all.

I noticed theres a gas strut there on the liftgate as well, so I was hoping for some manual operation mode, but I don't see anything in the manual about it except the small blurb posted above.

I did operate mine in some cold weather, but nothing like what you're having up there. The coldest I have opened it was probably something around, 15-20 F.

NB

Steeler 11-19-2010 04:39 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
I had this same problem on my Limited in 70 degree weather. If it's not related to the cold. I'd bring it to the dealer, according to my service guy a simple reflash of a computer solved the problem.

IndyBob 11-19-2010 04:39 PM

Re: Rearlift Froze and Won't Open
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 303978)
I understand, I was just trying to clear up the information that Bob posted. The hyphens indicating "negative" do not get copied when we are copying that paragraph form the pdf manual for whatever reason.

I thought the 22 F number seemed ridiculous so I had to take a look myself, then sure enough when I copied it the hyphens got dropped, thats all.

I noticed theres a gas strut there on the liftgate as well, so I was hoping for some manual operation mode, but I don't see anything in the manual about it except the small blurb posted above.

I did operate mine in some cold weather, but nothing like what you're having up there. The coldest I have opened it was probably something around, 15-20 F.

NB

You are correct. I didn't notice that the - did not copy. Sorry for the bad info.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community