Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   IMPORT POI's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/import-pois-15312.html)

Radside 11-19-2010 05:43 PM

IMPORT POI's
 
Anybody figure out how to do this yet? The instructions in the manual aren't that specific and the Garmin POI loader seems to put out a file type that the 430N doesn't recognize.

IndyBob 11-19-2010 06:04 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radside (Post 304049)
Anybody figure out how to do this yet? The instructions in the manual aren't that specific and the Garmin POI loader seems to put out a file type that the 430N doesn't recognize.

The info below was posted a month or so ago. I forget who posted it maybe he will jump in.

Here is the post.

Dear Ron,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can definitely help you with your question about the Jeep unit. Please use a USB stick and following these directions:
Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 Using POI Loader from Garmin (www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.


Radside 11-19-2010 06:16 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
Thanks! I'll give this a shot.

Remleym 11-19-2010 08:33 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 304063)
The info below was posted a month or so ago. I forget who posted it maybe he will jump in.

Here is the post.

Dear Ron,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can definitely help you with your question about the Jeep unit. Please use a USB stick and following these directions:
Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 Using POI Loader from Garmin (www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.


I can confirm that this process works. I pulled down a POI database of all the rest stops across the US and followed the steps above to load into my 430N. Have taken two road trips since then and the POIs and the alerts I set (2 miles prior to each rest stop) worked perfectly. Whoever sorted this out with Garmin gets my thanks!

Radside 11-19-2010 09:20 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
Good to know. I downloaded traffic and safety cams.

Radside 11-20-2010 02:35 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
IndyBob, thanks. This worked!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 304063)
The info below was posted a month or so ago. I forget who posted it maybe he will jump in.

Here is the post.

Dear Ron,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can definitely help you with your question about the Jeep unit. Please use a USB stick and following these directions:
Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 Using POI Loader from Garmin (www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.


Danco 02-13-2011 08:49 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
This did not work for me. Anyone else having troubles?

Cperez 02-13-2011 08:59 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danco (Post 354971)
This did not work for me. Anyone else having troubles?

It's been awhile since I loaded my custom POIs, and I use a Mac so there may be some differences with the Garmin Mac-based POI utility. However, I seem to recall the process being finicky and requiring you to respect the capitalization in the directory folders and filenames. For instance, POI.gpi would work but poi.gpi would not.

Make sure you have named things exactly as outlined in the directions. My .02.

Danco 02-13-2011 09:03 PM

Re: IMPORT POI's
 
I will double check. Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community