Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hitch Ball Mount (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hitch-ball-mount-15316.html)

foggy 11-19-2010 09:38 PM

Hitch Ball Mount

I'm wondering what kind of ball mount (drop) is used for the JGC Overland in light of the air suspension.

Typically my car trailer, boat trailer and utility trailer takes a 2" drop hitch (on my current GMC Acadia).

Can someone please measure from the ground.....to the top inside of the receiver on an Overland at normal ride / towing height? So I can compare to my current set up.

I think a 2" drop is the deal....but appreciate hearing from others.

nek121328 11-19-2010 09:52 PM

Re: Hitch Ball Mount

Get out the measuring tape and check the heighth of the hitch receiver on the GC and the level ball mount on the trailer. Then do the math for the correct drop plus
a half inch or so.

robpp 11-19-2010 09:59 PM

his sig says 'ON ORDER' and last I checked they weren't building them in Minnesota :D

foggy 11-19-2010 10:01 PM

^^ Yep....that would be the best plan. But my Overland has just been built....and it's not shipped yet. I'd like to include a new billet aluminum ball mount with my brake controller to get the FREE freight on my order....thus the the question. :D

nek121328 11-20-2010 08:06 AM

Check out a GC at the dealership for measurements

moosehead 11-20-2010 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Per below shot, 2011 JGC Overland unloaded at NRH shows middle of hitch receiver at circa 20 3/4" height from ground.

foggy 11-20-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 304294)
Per below shot, 2011 JGC Overland unloaded at NRH shows middle of hitch receiver at circa 20 3/4" height from ground.

Thanks Moosehead. Helpfull to see the tale of the tape.

Hmmm....the way hitches are "supposed" to be measured is from the top of the female receiver to the ground. When measured as such...the jeep is nearly 22" and my current (Acadia) is 18". Yikes. Gonna have to make some changes in my ball mount for sure.

Now....I gotta wonder about air-bag settings on that pic too. Hmmmm....the plot thickens.

Thanks for a response.

moosehead 11-20-2010 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
foggy, out of curiosity, i put the select terrain at sport mode which dropped the rear hitch height by nearly 1". Below photo is sport mode and tow/haul button engaged (tow button did not change QL height setting).

foggy 11-20-2010 01:48 PM

I am going to check a vehicle to see with my own eyes....but from what you are showing me, it appears I will need to have about a 4" drop in my ball mount.

Thanks....I think I gotta change a web order.

White Chocolate 11-20-2010 04:41 PM

to pull my tent trailer i run an 8" drop for my WK....and its still not perfectly level :(

foggy 11-20-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 304412)
to pull my tent trailer i run an 8" drop for my WK....and its still not perfectly level :(

Wow....that's a pretty big drop White Choc. I am going to cancel my order for a new receiver and inspect mine closer when I get the vehicle. (I was just trying to save a few bux on shipping....and getting ahead of things a bit.) BUT....from looking at JGC's today....it appears I will need a 4 to 6" drop hitch to get level on my trailers.....such as I am now. Glad I checked. Typically, most of the SUV's are set up for a 2" drop.

nek121328 11-20-2010 08:29 PM

Looks like a 5" drop for me