Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Snow chains recommendations (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/snow-chains-recommendations-15339.html)

rusloc 11-21-2010 12:01 AM

Snow chains recommendations

I cannot find any forum threads about recommended snow chains for GC. Is it because real jeepers don't use them?
I live in Washington State, and state troopers simply won't let me go over the passes in real bad weather if I don't put them on. What do people use for 4x4 GCs? I have stock Michelin's tires - 265/60R-18 Latitude Tour.

My second question is also about snow tire chains: the manual clearly says "Install on Rear Tires Only", but all chain manufacturers insist that even for AWD vehicles, chains must be installed on all four wheels. I myself think it must 4, not 2 wheels. Who is right?

GatoLoco 11-21-2010 12:13 AM

Re: Snow chains recommendations

I was just looking at those online. I too am in WA, so I'm considering them (just hoping my delivery comes in soon)

I liked the SCC chains, and particullarly had good result with the SCC Whitestar Alloy ones ( http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_WS.html ) during our fiasco two winters ago.

I found them online at Vulcan Tire (in Oregon, so quick shipping) for $129/pr. However, I just found them cheaper at Costco for $79/pr.

For the 265/60-18's, the model is WS1707. However, Cosco has there's branded as EA1707 ( http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11177319 ). They are apparently the same.

Chains go on all drive axels, so YES you need 2 pair on a 4x4. Some Googling will explain that.

White Chocolate 11-21-2010 12:52 AM

Thats so wierd they make you use em, ive NEVER seen a single vehicle use em in canada

StoneCold 11-21-2010 04:36 AM

They're installed on the drive wheels only, but if you're running 4 wheel drive then they'd go on all four.

In many parts of mainland Europe, it's mandatory to have chains, you can be fined if you don't carry them.

Interestingly enough, a friends ZJ manual did state not to use chains with it:confused:

Knightrider03m 11-21-2010 05:25 AM

Can't talk about chains since I have never used them before and I think they are illegal in this state but as for winter tire, put the tires on all 4 wheels. Don't know why jeep states to only put it on the rear tires.

nek121328 11-21-2010 07:28 AM

Clearance is usually the issue with the front wheels. The chains could come in contact with the frame, etc, when turned hard right or left or there's some slack
in the chains. Never had problems with chains on the GC, but then it's been low speed operation.

StoneCold 11-21-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 304632)
Clearance is usually the issue with the front wheels. The chains could come in contact with the frame, etc, when turned hard right or left or there's some slack
in the chains. Never had problems with chains on the GC, but then it's been low speed operation.

Yeah, you can't really go any faster than 30mph, not that you'd want to go any faster. Plus you drive for 100-200 yards then have to stop and re-tighten the chains.

Daved51 11-21-2010 10:22 AM

I also live in Wash state... Calif also requires you to carry chains when going over Mountain passes.

Picked up a set (rear only) of Class "S" chains at Napa (SCC Z-chain)

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...ac_ZChain.html

From GC OM (Page 416)

TIRE CHAINS (TRACTION DEVICES)
Certain models have sufficient tire-to-body clearance to
allow use of tire traction devices in snow. Follow these
recommendations to guard against damage.
Install on Rear Tires Only
Use only 255/55R18 XL tires on both front and rear
axles

Use tire inflation pressures recommended for this
vehicle

Use SAE class “S” tire chains or traction devices only

rdalcanto 11-21-2010 10:37 AM

I used to live in California. I can't remember if you still needed chains in the mountains if you had 4X4 with snow tires. Here in Utah, if you have 4X4 AND SNOW TIRES, you don't need chains.

rusloc 11-21-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 304632)
Clearance is usually the issue with the front wheels. The chains could come in contact with the frame, etc, when turned hard right or left or there's some slack in the chains.

I think yours is the best answer to my question, and I will follow Jeep instructions and leave the front wheels chainless.

Now the remaining questions are: (1) chains or cables, and (2) manual or self-tensioning?
In my opinion for occasional use, like going over a pass, a cable that needs manual tightening after a short drive is not only the most economical solution, but most practical and reliable as well. Most can be found on amazon for under $100.

Fancy systems like Thule XG-12 Pro 265 may sound good and super easy to use, but who knows how reliable they are in reality. Unfortunately, there are very few reviews of them. I still hope some fellow jeep owner has something to say about them.

Red G8R 11-21-2010 01:24 PM

Interesting thread. I thought chains were a thing of the past. Shouldn't modern studded winter tires do a better job?

rusloc 11-21-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 304768)
Interesting thread. I thought chains were a thing of the past. Shouldn't modern studded winter tires do a better job?

In my first post I made a mistake not mentioning that I need the chains for a cross country trip. It would have explained everything and prevented people from posting irrelevant info.

:(