Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Weird 4wd and brake issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/weird-4wd-and-brake-issue-15343.html)

baldeagle432 11-21-2010 09:42 AM

Weird 4wd and brake issue

Ok guys need your expert jeep knowledge. I got an 06 jgc limited with hemi and quadra drive now here is the issue. When I stop and apply the brakes for a longer period of time I get the service 4wd soon on evic and the traction control light and ebs bas light. Went to the dealership to check code they said the clock spring in the steering wheel was the cause and that it could be either the spring or wiring or a weird canon plug its seems weird to me that it would be the clock spring. The car acts normal thu the whole time nothing seems broke. Any ideas guys

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

iJeep 11-21-2010 10:21 AM

Re: Weird 4wd and brake issue

I had the clock spring replaced on my WK due to turning steering noise, no brake light issues.

Kreso 11-22-2010 05:19 AM

One of the wheel sensors is bad. Have nothing to do with clock spring. Your stealer is talking BS. Have no idea.

baldeagle432 11-22-2010 09:58 AM

What wheel sensors thu I know its not the tpms

2005JGC 11-22-2010 12:28 PM

keep in mind I am just speaking this from my memory and not rock solid fact, dates and models may be a bit mixed up...

I know there is a starcase on tj wranglers reguarding the clockspring shorting out and backfeeding voltage into the throttle position sensor circuit causing idle concerns.

Without having seen what codes were in it, not knowing any starcases that may pertain to your situation, it may or may not be the problem.

baldeagle432 11-22-2010 12:32 PM

my vehicle doesnt seem to be doing anything fishy thu it runs fine and how would that be a 4wd issue

2005JGC 11-22-2010 09:52 PM

codes dont tell you whats wrong it tells you when something is outside of a specified parameter, voltage, range, rationality, and communication... if a module looses communication a bunch of other modules on the bus freak out and say "hey I dont know where the final drive control module is" .

Who is to say its a 4wd issue anyway?

It kinda looks like the tech picked and choosed from a list of possible causes for a dtc, that or there was some technical assistance that pointed him in that direction.

White Chocolate 11-23-2010 12:46 AM

Just remember guys, 4wd service light comes on alot. Ive gotten mine reprogramed and the TSB fixed but I always get it once in awhile.

its hit and miss, usually its nothing

fatfreddy 11-23-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldeagle432 (Post 305284)
What wheel sensors thu I know its not the tpms

He is talking about the ABS sensors behind the disc brake rotors.Service 4 wheel drive warning could also be the motor on the transfer case that engages 4 wheel low.Mine went wonky,the sensor in the motor went bad and that makes the warning come on because it doesn't know what range the transfer case is in.

Kreso 11-23-2010 06:54 AM

Yes, I am talking about ABS sensors. If one is on the way out then this is exactly what you describe. Since problem is cleared after some times there is no DTC. DTC will be set when sensor is completely dead. ABS sensor also serves for ESP control-TC indication, ABS fault. Result is "SERVICE 4 WD SYSTEM".

stealth32 11-24-2010 09:27 AM

+1 for abs sensor. I had the same issue couple of weeks ago expect the abs was kicking in every time i applied the break and when it didn't do that all the lights would pop up but it worked and drove fine. I took it to the stealership and they told me it was because my aftermarket rims which was total bs and ended up paying 120 from the pocket. Thanks to the guys here on the website i found it out to be a broken abs sensor in the front. Told the dealership to look exactly what i told to look at and it was fixed for free since it was under warranty. Haven't had a problem since no lights coming up anymore.