Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Wheel spacers/cut bolt (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/wheel-spacers-cut-bolt-15390.html)

Arctic Fox 11-22-2010 11:02 AM

Wheel spacers/cut bolt

so I have an '05 WK that's stock when it comes to suspension. I bought some oversized tires (265/70R17) off a classified ad for super cheap and took them to the tire shop I work at to mount them up and they hit that bolt on the strut. My boss told me I could solve that by buying new wheels with a negative offset. I wanted to save like $200 and maybe get some bolt on spacers instead and get some wheels when I get my lift and new tires. So my question would be what size of spacer would work and would I need some on the rear as well? Also, i was reading some threads yesterday and there were a couple of people who trimmed the bolt on the upper control arm to get more tire clearance. that is my main problem. if i trim that bolt a bit, would i even have to buy wheel spacers or wheels at all right now or could i just throw those tires on no problem??

GC///HoLic 11-22-2010 01:37 PM

Re: Wheel spacers/cut bolt

I had the same problem, when i purchased my new rims. My problem was the bolt in the front and the brake calipers. I believe the front is all you have to worry about. The rear shouldnt have a problem. I had to use spacers in the front to clear the calipers and the bolt. I had to sacrifice tire size because of that pesky bolt. If you can shave the front bolt with no problem thats probably your best bet. Would love to hear how you pan out in this ordeal. Maybe i can i little bigger tire in the future :). Good luck

DGoral31 11-22-2010 01:57 PM

im pretty sure you can fit those tires on there if you cut the bottom of that bolt, the only problem lies in that now you wont be able to remove the bolt in the future. The solution to that is to get some spacers, I've read on here that 1/4" - 1/2" spacers should work fine with stock rims and should not rub, however i do not have a lift so i cant say first hand... I am getting a lift pretty soon and have similar concerns, although i will be working with stock rims and would prefer not to get spacers but i have a feeling i might have to.

Arctic Fox 11-24-2010 12:21 PM

Hey thanks for the replys guys. I got so stoked on the idea on monday that i just took a grinder and showed that bolt whos boss and now my tires fit no problem!! i really like the way the 265's fill the wheel well. i haven't gotten them on yet, just did a fit test cause the tire shop i work at has been super busy. we had a storm warning for a blizzard yesterday that was supposed to bring in like 6 inches in a 4 hour period that didn't end up happening, but because of the warning people started freaking out and realizing they needed new tires ha so i was there for 14 hours yesterday and i didn't have time to throw them on. im planning to tomorrow at my other boss' shop. i'll post some pics :)

DGoral31 11-24-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 306566)
Hey thanks for the replys guys. I got so stoked on the idea on monday that i just took a grinder and showed that bolt whos boss and now my tires fit no problem!! i really like the way the 265's fill the wheel well. i haven't gotten them on yet, just did a fit test cause the tire shop i work at has been super busy. we had a storm warning for a blizzard yesterday that was supposed to bring in like 6 inches in a 4 hour period that didn't end up happening, but because of the warning people started freaking out and realizing they needed new tires ha so i was there for 14 hours yesterday and i didn't have time to throw them on. im planning to tomorrow at my other boss' shop. i'll post some pics :)

awesome! i was thinking about doing the same... cant wait to see the pics! The only problem now is... how are you going to get the bolt off if you ever need to?? :confused:

Arctic Fox 11-24-2010 06:23 PM

Ha Ha I have no idea! I guess I'll Just have to cross that bridge when I come to it...if I do ;)

OBXJeep 11-29-2010 01:06 AM

Guess it's a little late but I've got 1 1/2" spacers and I'm chillin. There's some rubbing a full lock while in reverse when the tires are fairly new but that's it.

JeepCoop 11-29-2010 12:15 PM

Dont cut the bolt it'll be a pain later. Just get some spacers. I have 255/70R17 on my stock Overland. No rubbing at all!!