Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   nerf bars for my WJ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/nerf-bars-for-my-wj-15408.html)

mrjaydeeone 11-22-2010 06:53 PM

nerf bars for my WJ?

so my sister is looking to get me a gift for Chanukah. I am not really sure what I want. She wants to spend around 100. I have wanted nerf bars for my WJ. Whatcha guys think for my WJ? I was looking at these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-BLACK-SIDE-STEP-NERF-BARS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255f107f0fQQitemZ16050 8706575QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

99PlatinumWJ 11-22-2010 08:19 PM

Re: nerf bars for my WJ?

no dont do it!!! wj's are too low as it is and they just look out of place, except for the ones on the freedom edition which are hard to come by. just my 2 cents but in the end its about what u personally like

Megatron 11-22-2010 08:59 PM

IMO, if its for functionality, go for it.

If its for looks, then no.

mrjaydeeone 11-22-2010 09:29 PM

We'll I am 6'1 so I have no problem getting into my WJ. My dad is 5'4 or so, it would help him haha. And maybe in the future with little ones.

Megatron 11-22-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone (Post 305686)
We'll I am 6'1 so I have no problem getting into my WJ. My dad is 5'4 or so, it would help him haha. And maybe in the future with little ones.

Sounds good :thumbsup:

mrjaydeeone 11-22-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 305706)
Sounds good :thumbsup:

I appreciate your blessings haha:cool:

cheapjeep 11-23-2010 12:03 AM

If you're gonna go that route I'd have them sprayed with bedliner. That will save you a lot of repainting grief every spring and I mean every spring:( Sounds like you're looking for a step but for protection and looks I'd go with the Freedom Edition bars or Overland rock rails. Also you could look into some aluminum tube steps locally that would look good,work well for you and keep maintenance low. Good luck

mrjaydeeone 11-23-2010 02:08 AM

gotcha gotcha. Well my Jeep I can prolly guarantee will never be off road, so I won't need that protection haha. thanks

SRTILL8 11-23-2010 09:23 AM

also just a reminder that the ones you posted in the link and many others start to rust real bad after a couple of seasons. just be aware of that with the majority of them.

also the freedom edition nerf bars dent in like aluminum- meaning one lil hair of hit, it will dent. theyre just for looks (the freedom bars)

gl yo-

straty1987 11-23-2010 05:33 PM

that a really good deal for the price since some can be over $100.

steps are for function and they do help with people getting in

unless your going to offroad i would say get sliders since they give you protection and can be used as a step. but will be over $200

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNawrocki (Post 305627)
no dont do it!!! wj's are too low as it is and they just look out of place, except for the ones on the freedom edition which are hard to come by. just my 2 cents but in the end its about what u personally like

i am 50/50 on what you saying.

yea the jeep is low but the lowest point id the cross member.
and most steps dont come down lower.
also the lokk depends on which one you get and how they match teh jeep.

i took my stock wj wheeling and i have steps (not tubes just mounts and a board) i left them on for protection since its simpler to replace the steps (reason to buy sliders lol) then getting body work done. i scratched the mounts a bit ands a fow other parts but as long as i picked the right ling i did not hit a thing

mrjaydeeone 11-24-2010 08:50 PM

thanks for the responses Tilla and Straty. Straty yeah I though the same with the price, but I am sure it's quality and all versus brandname ones like Westin that are easily 3times that shipped price

straty1987 11-25-2010 09:44 PM

look at the info they provide
  • Made out of Carbon steel with 1mm thickness & 3" Diameter tube.
  • Includes all mounting hardware for a total bolt-on installation.
  • Vehicle specific and might not fit on other vehicles without further modification.
  • Brand new in box never used.
-Carbon steel will rust so being in the rust belt will have to check them now and them, or at least before and after winter
-there 1mm thick, if rust build up and after time i am sure a 200lbs person can sanp one of them quick.
-ask for the install info, some make you drill holes to mount them. which can lead to rust if not taken care of at the begin of the install.
- shipping cost more then the item.

i think on your jeep they will work good sicne you have the black gaurd and headlights. for the prices just check them now and then and if they go bad they did not cost allot.