Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Best Spray for Tinting light? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/best-spray-for-tinting-light-15473.html)

SoCalMoparWK 11-24-2010 05:34 AM

Best Spray for Tinting light?

I think I am going to spray tint my tails and 3rd brake light, so does anyone know the best spray to use to get that gloss look and not the dull look? Thanks. The sooner I get this info the better. I have a big car show I will be attending so I am trying to do as much mods I can.

SoCalMoparWK 11-24-2010 07:51 AM

Re: Best Spray for Tinting light?

Geez...26 views and now one has an answer for me yet? wtf...lol/

DCSpecial 11-24-2010 08:11 AM

IMO, the best gloss look is going to come from getting them professionally done.

If you are really good at spraying from a rattle can its possible to get them looking pretty good . You'll need to buff them for the best finish.

SoCalMoparWK 11-24-2010 08:36 AM

Buff them with what? whats the process in doing this?

GiggityGiggity 11-24-2010 08:36 AM

I used this stuff just this past weekend called night shades. Goes on really nice if you use very thin coats. I too was in your shoes, I wanted something that would dry shinny and everyone I asked told me night shades, it needs no top coat. I wanted the black cherry look so I layered 2 coats and let it dry. The finish wasnt matte but it wasnt shinny like most tails are, something in between. I had some clear so I layered 4 coats of clear on the lenses and that brought the shine right up. I had just enough wet sand paper left (2000 grit) to get at the high mount break light, rubbed it down, used some rubbing compound, swirl remover/gloss enhancer and light coat of wax the results are outstanding. I did not sand or wax the tails, thats this weekends project. Definitely DIY, dont pay someone for this if you have any sort of skill with an aerosol can. Key is to make even coats all around.

Actually, when I get a chance, I'll do a write up and post some pics later this morning.

GiggityGiggity 11-24-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalMoparWK (Post 306482)
Buff them with what? whats the process in doing this?

same process as buffing the car, to bring the shine up. What ever you use for your paint, you can use on your tails.

DCSpecial 11-24-2010 09:09 AM

Yep, wet sand and buff just like you would a car......if you use a clear coat that is.

You can get a really nice finish when buffed, here are some we did:
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/a...ls001small.jpg

GiggityGiggity 11-24-2010 10:30 AM

check the DIY section, How to is up....

DC, great work!

Relwarc 11-24-2010 10:53 AM

i've seen so many DIY jobs. I even hang out at a custom shop that does nightshade. NOTHING looks NEARLY as good as a professional job with a clearcoat on top.

don't be in a rush bro... you'll just show up at a car show with shitty looking tails.

Asativa 11-24-2010 11:23 AM

X2 ur best bet is professional. I did mine with night shades and had good results, but not close to professional. I did thin coats of night shades, then thin coats of clear when it was dry, then a final heavy coat of clear...when it dries ur gonna be pissed, it looks matte! I let it cure for a day, then used meguires swirl x w orbital buffer and man i was like thank god, it glossed right up!! The results were amazing, then followed up with meguires nxt2 wax or whatever its called. Like i said, amazing results, nice shine, but no where as nice as proffesional

GiggityGiggity 11-24-2010 12:26 PM

I think the wet sand is imperative to getting the professional look. Its not like the "pros" have a different process or product, they use the same environments and products the DIY'er does but they take that extra time to completely wet sand and buff.

DCSpecial 11-24-2010 04:50 PM

As for what the "pros" use to tint.....it varies shop to shop. I can assure you that we don't use anything out of a rattle can :D