Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Engine warning light on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/engine-warning-light-on-15534.html)

Dunecrawler 11-25-2010 02:48 PM

Engine warning light on

First day with the new Jeep. On starting the Jeep, returning home from work, the engine warning light came on and stayed on all the way home (about 70 miles). I sure hope I dont see it again tomorrow on start-up. NOT the way to start my new Jeep experience :mad:

Scottina06 11-25-2010 02:57 PM

Re: Engine warning light on

well....its not an engine light....its an emmissions light. Pull the code

Dunecrawler 11-25-2010 02:58 PM

How?

Scottina06 11-25-2010 03:01 PM

hmmm...yeah youre in Dubai. I wouldnt guess you have an advanced auto parts store....?????? I would run it back to the dealer

Dunecrawler 11-25-2010 03:04 PM

Nope. Weekend also, so two days of irritation...crap!

blackpepper 11-25-2010 03:04 PM

Try the key cycle trick with the WK2 .. it should pull a code for you to have as ammo. Turn the key to on three times, leaving it on on the third cycle.

Dunecrawler 11-25-2010 03:06 PM

It works with WK2? Remove the push-start?

blackpepper 11-25-2010 03:09 PM

I'm not sure how the WK2 works but I would remove the push start and try it with the key.

Dunecrawler 11-25-2010 03:12 PM

Thanks. Will give it a go

Marlon_JB2 11-25-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 307123)
well....its not an engine light....its an emmissions light. Pull the code

Well you're right. Sort of. It's actually a "Malfunction Indicator Light". It monitors several things, many are NOT emissions related, therefore it is not just an "emmissions light".

As described in the owners manual:

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)
The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is part of an onboard diagnostic system, called OBD, that monitors engine and automatic transmission con-
trol systems. The light will illuminate when the key is in the ON position, before engine start. If the bulb does not come on when turning the key from OFF to ON, have the condition checked promptly.
Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap, poor fuel quality, etc., may illuminate the MIL after engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will not require towing.
CAUTION!
Prolonged driving with the MIL on could cause damage to the engine control system. It also could affect fuel economy and drivability. If the MIL is flashing, severe catalytic converter damage and power loss will soon occur. Immediate service is required.
A malfunctioning catalytic converter, as referenced above, can reach higher temperatures than in normal operating conditions. This can cause a fire if you drive slowly or park over flammable substances such as dry plants or wood or cardboard, etc. This could result in death or serious injury to the driver, occu- pants or others.

Scottina06 11-25-2010 06:48 PM

^^^^LOL>......I knew what an MIL was before you were born......

Marlon_JB2 11-25-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 307217)
^^^^LOL>......I knew what an MIL was before you were born......

Sounds awesome. Then you'd know at least these days, it involves a heck of a lot more than "emmissions".