Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2500km, smoke on start up?!?! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2500km-smoke-on-start-up-15547.html)

overlander 11-25-2010 11:07 PM

2500km, smoke on start up?!?!

There seems to be a huge puff of smoke that comes out the exhaust when I start the car sometimes, I know it's oil by the smell of it and it's not coolant. I haven't even gone over 3500rpm on the car because I've been babying it since the first day I got it. I got an oil change done at 2000km from the dealership I purchased it from and it's been doing this ever since.

SO I called the service department and I explained the situation and the response I received was, "When you brought it in for your first oil change someone MIGHT have overfilled your oil." I was in shock... MIGHT HAVE?!?! Then I asked the person if I could bring it in to have it checked because it's doing this quite often and she said "Oh I can't book an appointment for you because if you bring it and it turns out there's nothing wrong it's a waste of our time" I was livid, I just bought the top of the line SUV from you and you're telling me someone MIGHT have made a mistake and you won't even book an appointment to have it checked out? Then I found out the dealership (I won't name at this time) has 18 year old kids doing the oil changes because I have a friend who has worked at the dealership for the past 4 years and someone MIGHT have overfilled my oil.

SO I checked my oil, and its about an inch over the recommended amount on the dip stick.... I am just livid because of the unprofessional manner I was treated by the dealership and now my car is smoking on start up... I was never treated like this at the Mercedes Benz dealership or even Lexus (have owned in the past). When I had service done on my car at Benz they would call me after and ask me if everything was okay and if I had any questions and I was always treated properly. They would never hesitate to book me an appointment to bring my car in for a check up even though sometimes nothing was wrong with my car and they wouldn't even charge me for it but Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep doesn't seem to have the same customer treatment as the higher name brands.

I asked to speak to the service manager because the person I spoke to was obviously an idiot and she told me I couldn't speak to him because he was unavailable. I am going to make a trip to the dealership tomorrow and speak to the manager in person because this is the biggest load of bullshit and I've never been treated so unprofessionally by any dealer in the past.

GR33N D3M0N 11-25-2010 11:10 PM

Re: 2500km, smoke on start up?!?!

wow...total Bullshit....i wouldnt put up for it....call corporate, see what they have to say about it...

Marlin 11-25-2010 11:16 PM

Absolutely GIVE IT TO THEM Overlander...... farkin dealers, hopeless.

Its no real secret that its kids/apprentices that do basic servicing at all brands of dealerships.

whatevrworks 11-25-2010 11:26 PM

Take a time and date stamped pic with your phone showing the oil level when vehicle is on level surface after at least 15-20 min for it to drain. Otherwise those idiots might just pull the dipstick on just turned off engine and be like " see it's good it's actually underfilled" since most of the oil will not have drained down from top of engine yet. That's the problem with quick change places and crappy dealers they try to get you in an out as quick as possible. If they don't give the oil time to drain down and they work quick there might still be another quart up in the engine. Then they fill it will the recommended amount and you end up a quart over. Do it right. Do it yourself. Easy to learn and gives you a chance to get under there and check things over in the process. Can almost always save you some cash too.

Bmwister 11-26-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 307374)
Its no real secret that its kids/apprentices that do basic servicing at all brands of dealerships.

You're right about that Marlin. Dealers use basic service tasks to weed out the dolts from the diamonds. If the dealer did service the OP's oil the they should be fixing it ASAP. Someone at the OP's dealer did not properly train their service department personnel for the kind of response he received.

That said, not all apprentice kids are bad; when I was picking up my WK2 I chatted with an apprentice, a 20yr old kid, who just got off work (watched him punch out). We discussed engine technology and all things WK2 for 20min and he knew his stuff. As I was ready to leave I asked the detail guy prepping my truck if he set the tire pressure to 36psi. When that detailer looked at me, clueless, the off-duty kid apprentice said "I'll take care of that for you" and jumped right in and adjusted all my tires...on his own time.

overlander 11-26-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 307380)
Take a time and date stamped pic with your phone showing the oil level when vehicle is on level surface after at least 15-20 min for it to drain. Otherwise those idiots might just pull the dipstick on just turned off engine and be like " see it's good it's actually underfilled" since most of the oil will not have drained down from top of engine yet. That's the problem with quick change places and crappy dealers they try to get you in an out as quick as possible. If they don't give the oil time to drain down and they work quick there might still be another quart up in the engine. Then they fill it will the recommended amount and you end up a quart over. Do it right. Do it yourself. Easy to learn and gives you a chance to get under there and check things over in the process. Can almost always save you some cash too.

Yeah when I had my oil change done there I was in and out maybe half hour tops and some of that time my car spent sitting there waiting because there were a few cars ahead of me, it's basically a drive through service bay. That being said, I'm never going back there for an oil change. My question is, will this damage my engine because it's been over filled for the past 500km driven or do any sort of harm? Should I drain the oil again and refill it to the proper amount? Forgive me I am not very mechanically inclined....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 307428)
You're right about that Marlin. Dealers use basic service tasks to weed out the dolts from the diamonds. If the dealer did service the OP's oil the they should be fixing it ASAP. Someone at the OP's dealer did not properly train their service department personnel for the kind of response he received.

Haha yea too bad they didn't weed out the idiot I dealt with, I just hope it didn't mess up my car because I actually really like this Jeep.

mangoe 11-26-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR33N D3M0N (Post 307367)
wow...total Bullshit....i wouldnt put up for it....call corporate, see what they have to say about it...

I will put up with it until my vehicle explode.

Sparro 11-26-2010 09:44 AM

What dealership? I wanna make sure I don't buy form them.
After all this BS with the economy and going bankrupt, these guys still have a lot to learn... they should take a page from BMW's books... even though you get hosed by them every time you go in for service, they make you feel like a million bucks!

whatevrworks 11-26-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander (Post 307438)
Yeah when I had my oil change done there I was in and out maybe half hour tops and some of that time my car spent sitting there waiting because there were a few cars ahead of me, it's basically a drive through service bay. That being said, I'm never going back there for an oil change. My question is, will this damage my engine because it's been over filled for the past 500km driven or do any sort of harm? Should I drain the oil again and refill it to the proper amount? Forgive me I am not very mechanically inclined....

I doubt it will be severely damaged after only 500km especially if only a half to a quart overfilled. I WOULD drain and fill with the proper amount though. Also what is the oil pressure showing on the evic give some number at idle after being warmed up and while driving after being warmed up.

Since you just had it done you *could* save a few bucks and not change the filter and just drain the oil and refill with proper amount keeping in mind if you dont change the filter it will take less oil than the book says since there is always maybe a half or quarter quart stuck in the filter. But my advice would be just do the whole oil and filter, and consider that last change a loss and start fresh. I would not keeping driving though with it overfilled until the next scheduled change.

blackpepper 11-26-2010 11:49 PM

If you're thick skinned, Chrysler service is tolerable.

This is not a Lexus Dealership nor a BMW dealer. Hell, there's even a Cadillac Dealership in China with a Piano Bar.

Remember you bought from Chrysler, get the extended warranty and utilize their loaner program.. that's my advice. I've put up with their shit but if it's free, their going to put up with my shit. You're right, you paid a shit ton of money for your vehicle and you deserve respect but don't expect any special treatment unless you know the owner of the establishment.