Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Stock Tire on WK2 Overland with Off Road Package? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/stock-tire-on-wk2-overland-with-off-road-package-15556.html)

KarlG 11-26-2010 10:57 AM

Stock Tire on WK2 Overland with Off Road Package?

I'm just curious, perhaps someone who has received their vehicle can answer this. The Jeep site states with the Off Road II package with the "Trail Rated" badge the stock tire is a Michelin OWL.

I'm curious if the stock tire is the Michelin LTX A/T 2 or the Michelin Lattitude Tour or something else?

Sid Fields 11-26-2010 11:22 AM

Re: Stock Tire on WK2 Overland with Off Road Package?

They are the Latitudes. There have been several threads about the tires in the past. Not sure how to provide you with the direct link but if you Search Latitude you will bring up several posts with some very good information and discussion.

nek121328 11-26-2010 11:55 AM

Nice street tires

KarlG 11-26-2010 12:29 PM

Thanks Sid! That was kind of what I was expecting, I did a search, but it didn't pop up. I guess I needed to do several.

xmonger 11-26-2010 01:24 PM

That pretty damn sad. If someone opts for the off-road package, they should at least be getting a mild A/T tire, or an aggressive hwy tire, not a touring radial.

nek121328 11-26-2010 04:48 PM

That's why I purchased a set of Bridgestone snow tires.

wjs81866 12-05-2010 10:31 PM

The Latitude tires are terrible in snow. Great wet and dry but I had no confidence in them on slick roads. Mine are in the basement and the LTX M/S 2's are on.

Cherodude 12-05-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 307516)
I'm just curious, perhaps someone who has received their vehicle can answer this. The Jeep site states with the Off Road II package with the "Trail Rated" badge the stock tire is a Michelin OWL.

I'm curious if the stock tire is the Michelin LTX A/T 2 or the Michelin Lattitude Tour or something else?

As stated by others the stock tire even with Off-Road Group II is the Latitude Tour. An error on Jeep's part I think, but easy to fix.

I've found the Latitudes not as bad as I had expected in light snow, but in deep stuff I can see the tread clogging. The Michelin LTX M/S2 is a step in the right direction, but I would go further to the LTX A/T2 if you have more serious snow or off roading.

jeep2011 12-19-2010 09:19 PM

Given these are the stock Latitudes they seem to be doing pretty well in deep snow.

Cherodude 12-19-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 320396)
Given these are the stock Latitudes they seem to be doing pretty well in deep snow.

Thanks for posting that video. It's a nice find. But following on packed tracks left by other vehicles is not what I mean by deep snow. I mean 9 to 11 inches of unmarked fresh snow mixed with partly compacted snow on a laneway with curves and hills about 600 yards long, usually with packed snow/ice under that deep cover. My old XJs with Selec-trac, Trac-Lok and Michelin A/T tires could and did make it through such snow on many occasions with a head of steam, even dragging the undercarriage and with snow billowing over the hood and windshield.

I haven't yet built up the confidence in the WK2 to do the same, and the tires are a big part of the uncertainty. But due to budget, I will run with the Latitudes this winter and let you know how they do if we get the right conditions.

Here's what I can say about the Latitudes on a snow covered highway about 1-2 inches of fresh blown snow (not yet packed by other traffic and no other vehicles on the road so I could do some testing). Very solid, with firm hold on curves up to the speed limit and beyond where the old XJ would have started to break loose. I kept looking for fishtailing to correct for but the WK2 just went where it was pointed at speeds beyond my expectations. So with brand new tread depth, the Latitude Tours have gained some respect from me. The Quadra-Trac II was also doing its job without any fuss. Thumbs up so far.

rdalcanto 12-24-2010 09:56 AM

I can't decide if I want to swap the Latitudes out as soon as I get the jeep, and try to sell them, or keep them. I have a second set of wheels with winter tires, so I don't need them for snow traction. But, I do plan on using the Jeep in Moab for some moderate rock crawling. Are the latitudes tough enough to not tear from jagged rocks? Should I put Destination ATs on?

WK2 Rover 12-24-2010 08:03 PM

I too was expecting "all-terrain" tires with the Off-Road Adventure Group II package. Jeep's own specification mentions "on / off road" tires, but the Latitudes are "all-season" not all-terrain. Michelin's web site rates the Latitudes a 4 out of 10 for off-road ability, and that is just within their own tire offerings. And these may not good enough tires for a heavy snow on the way to Lake Tahoe skiing.

Hopefully Jeep will send those of us who ordered this package a discount coupon to upgrade to our choice of all-terrain terrain tires to complement our off-road package.

Note that I have not found LT rated tires available in this size yet from any manufacturer.