Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Squeek squeek when COLD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/squeek-squeek-when-cold-15569.html)

mputnik 11-26-2010 11:54 PM

Squeek squeek when COLD

Put on my winter tires mid week, had a winter storm push through the Pacific Northwest. Studded tires, 17" 245/65, 5mm below the the recommended spec but according to the dealer and Les Schwab not a big deal.

Anyhoo, it was around 28 degrees for a few days and the car would squeek when coming to a stop and then when starting to move again at very low speeds. So hitting the break and then hitting the gas form a full stop would create the noise. Dealer had no clue....:-)

Now that its back in the 38's the sound is gone.

Q: any winter drivers experencing the same thing?

Would be sad to go through winter and experience the same thing.

Bmwister 11-27-2010 12:23 AM

Re: Squeek squeek when COLD

Sway bar bushings affected by really cold weather can cause a squeak or creak. Have them add some silicone grease to the bushings IF that seems to be where it's coming from. Could just be moisture buildup that caused the noise after freezing. You added tires and then the weather changed so it's harder to isolate if the issue is due to tires (I doubt it) or other factors affecting your suspension. Neither is unique to Jeep. I had a BMW that made horrible creaking noises when it got below freezing and went through what seemed like quarts of silicone grease over its service life.

bozer 11-27-2010 11:45 AM

I really hope its not a problem for all. Im trading in my lexus gs350 that had horrible squeaking when it was either too cold or too hot. Drove me insane that the Lexus would squeak when every other car wouldnt.

mputnik 11-28-2010 03:04 PM

so I hosed it down real good, undercarriage and all for a solid 5 minutes. It went away, only to come back the next day. Taking it to the dealer on Wednesday to se what gives.

Bmwister 11-28-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mputnik (Post 308413)
so I hosed it down real good, undercarriage and all for a solid 5 minutes. It went away, only to come back the next day. Taking it to the dealer on Wednesday to se what gives.

That sounds like bushings. You soaked them so the water actually acted as a temporary "lube" but when it dried out the squawk came back. Probably the sway bar bushings. Tell the tech to check there and try some silicone grease there; a good tech will look at this first unless there's a TSB already.

EDIT: Wait a sec on my suggested diagnosis....does this squawk ONLY happen when you stop and then release the brakes to go (i.e. two times) but not when you are driving over undulating surfaces? If it ONLY happens when you brake at a stop and then release, that is just the sound of brake pad scrub on new brake lining. If that noise is ONLY when you stop and then release the brakes, try braking harder and hold until you are completely stopped and the quickly and full release the brakes and there should be no noise. Also, when stopped slowly release your brakes (like trying to creep along veeery slowly)...does the squawk noise occur? If it does, it's just your brakes still being broken in. Just try to make more "prompt" stops and not creep along with your brakes if this is the case and that squawk will go away when the brakes and rotors are completely mated. Sometimes weather can cause the noise if you brake very lightly at very slow, baby-crawl speeds.

mputnik 12-02-2010 10:32 PM

so, my wife brought it into the dealer today as I'm currently overseas. They fixed it but it appartently involved stripping down the front bumper. they worked on it for 4 hrs. I will see the writeup when I get home on saturday so I can follow up with you all.

mputnik 12-13-2010 09:33 PM

just to close this one out, they lubed the engine cradle, which fixed the problem. Took almost 5 hours but at least the squeek is completely gone.

M

JoeSchmoe007 12-14-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks for the follow-up