Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Continued Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/continued-problems-15578.html)

dowdy85 11-27-2010 12:38 PM

Continued Problems

I have 1500 miles on my 5.7 Overland. I just wanted to bring up a couple more issues to see if others are having issues.

1) Squeak in driver seat when turning, sounds like a spring is popped or possibly a bolt not tightened.
2) Shutter noise, had front isolator replaced, but still get quite a vibration over 40 mph.
3) Radio has horrible reception, whether in DC or in country. 730N.

In the scheme of things, is it going to make me sell the car... not really.

Lingohocken 11-27-2010 02:11 PM

Re: Continued Problems

Presumably your roof antenna is attached?

PMD G8 11-27-2010 03:06 PM

Are you referring to AM, FM or Sirius. I test drove an Overland yesterday and couldn't believe how many times Sirius lost signal. Unbelievable. And I have had numerous vehicles with Sat Radio and installed many different plug and play XM/Sirius radios and they never cut out as many times as the Jeeps Unit did.

azcats2 11-27-2010 03:35 PM

i have the same issue with the driver seat. other issues:

1) check engine light comes on sporadically
2) the auto dimming mirror light is blinking incessantly

GlowingGhoul 11-27-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 308005)
Are you referring to AM, FM or Sirius. I test drove an Overland yesterday and couldn't believe how many times Sirius lost signal. Unbelievable. And I have had numerous vehicles with Sat Radio and installed many different plug and play XM/Sirius radios and they never cut out as many times as the Jeeps Unit did.

The latest aoftware upgrade fixes that.

wjs81866 12-04-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowdy85 (Post 307937)
I have 1500 miles on my 5.7 Overland. I just wanted to bring up a couple more issues to see if others are having issues.

1) Squeak in driver seat when turning, sounds like a spring is popped or possibly a bolt not tightened.
2) Shutter noise, had front isolator replaced, but still get quite a vibration over 40 mph.
3) Radio has horrible reception, whether in DC or in country. 730N.

In the scheme of things, is it going to make me sell the car... not really.

Me 2 on the drivers seat, ticking me off. I get out and push on it and everything and it wont do it. Sit down and it starts again. Can't figure it out.

Havn't had the isolator changed yet, not sure if there's a point?

rmathney 12-05-2010 10:30 PM

Same drivers seat squeak here. At first I thought I could possibly ignore it, but it's really annoying now. Just finished my first decent mileage trip so haven't had a lot of time to investigate yet. Was also crossing my fingers that the squeak would go away on its own after the first couple hundred miles or so. Car is going in on Thursday to get the wiring harness installed (they were out of them when I picked up the car and the tow hitch was installed) so I'm going to have them look at it as well.

Ivan 12-19-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 312059)
Me 2 on the drivers seat, ticking me off. I get out and push on it and everything and it wont do it. Sit down and it starts again. Can't figure it out.

Havn't had the isolator changed yet, not sure if there's a point?

I have noticed this on my Laredo X. But in my case it's an intermittent problem. I thought it was the baby's car seat but it fits well, so I have to keep investigating to find the source.

ariakasrm 12-22-2010 02:02 PM

This seat squeak is driving me crazy! I've had the dealer look at it twice already. The first time, they said they couldn't reproduce it - I was cool with that because they were installing a free tow hitch they threw in on my original deal (I guess not "free" since I paid for the car - but definitely wasn't added as a separate line item to the deal). The second time, they said they couldn't reproduce it again and just greased up the rails that the seat goes back and forth on, even though I let them know it was the seat cushion, not the entire seat that was squeaking. I brought the service person out to drive around with them in the car to show them what was going on and they finally heard it, so I'm going in next Monday now that they actually heard what was going on.
I just did a trip this weekend of ~250 miles and it was creaking the entire way on the highway with the gentle ups and downs of the road. I could sit in the car while it was stopped and just lean my weight back and forth to get it creaking - it's definitely 10 times worse now than it was a week or two ago.
I'm hoping this visit fixes the problem and they don't just grease up everything under the cushion, else I'm going to be asking them to put an entire new seat in.

Besides that, I love everything about my new ride!

ariakasrm 01-05-2011 07:17 PM

Went back again and was hoping now that they heard the noise it would get fixed...not the case. They are being very nice about it, but I keep hearing - "it's a very faint noise" and "it's hard to reproduce"...if I drive down the road for a minute, I can hear it - driving to the dealer this morning, it was loud enough to hear over the radio. It sounds like a crappy box spring creaking.
I know it gets less noticable as the car warms up, but I could still hear it on the ride back from the dealer. I was told the service manager also took it for a road test and couldn't hear a thing.
I guess my next visit, I'm going to need to force 2 people to sit in the car and take them driving around.

At what point do I ask for a new seat entirely if I keep getting told they can't find the creaking noise? I'm about 35 days in on ownership.

dowdy85 01-05-2011 08:54 PM

They told me that they would not replace the seat if they couldn't get the noise to replicate. Basically your SOL if it doesn't replicate the sound while we have it. It is really frustrating me!

mjw930 01-06-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariakasrm (Post 321863)
This seat squeak is driving me crazy! I've had the dealer look at it twice already. The first time, they said they couldn't reproduce it - I was cool with that because they were installing a free tow hitch they threw in on my original deal (I guess not "free" since I paid for the car - but definitely wasn't added as a separate line item to the deal). The second time, they said they couldn't reproduce it again and just greased up the rails that the seat goes back and forth on, even though I let them know it was the seat cushion, not the entire seat that was squeaking. I brought the service person out to drive around with them in the car to show them what was going on and they finally heard it, so I'm going in next Monday now that they actually heard what was going on.
I just did a trip this weekend of ~250 miles and it was creaking the entire way on the highway with the gentle ups and downs of the road. I could sit in the car while it was stopped and just lean my weight back and forth to get it creaking - it's definitely 10 times worse now than it was a week or two ago.
I'm hoping this visit fixes the problem and they don't just grease up everything under the cushion, else I'm going to be asking them to put an entire new seat in.

Besides that, I love everything about my new ride!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariakasrm (Post 329023)
Went back again and was hoping now that they heard the noise it would get fixed...not the case. They are being very nice about it, but I keep hearing - "it's a very faint noise" and "it's hard to reproduce"...if I drive down the road for a minute, I can hear it - driving to the dealer this morning, it was loud enough to hear over the radio. It sounds like a crappy box spring creaking.
I know it gets less noticable as the car warms up, but I could still hear it on the ride back from the dealer. I was told the service manager also took it for a road test and couldn't hear a thing.
I guess my next visit, I'm going to need to force 2 people to sit in the car and take them driving around.

At what point do I ask for a new seat entirely if I keep getting told they can't find the creaking noise? I'm about 35 days in on ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowdy85 (Post 329109)
They told me that they would not replace the seat if they couldn't get the noise to replicate. Basically your SOL if it doesn't replicate the sound while we have it. It is really frustrating me!

The simple solution here is to ask the service manager to take a ride with you if you are 100% sure you can recreate the sound. Once they hear it as you do then they can make the decision on what to do. Handing it over saying it has a noise will invariably lead the to the, "we can't recreate the problem" response.