Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Sharkfin Antenna Install with Pics

46K views 99 replies 52 participants last post by  imaz 
#1 ·
I installed my sharkfin antenna from visualgarage.com. Very easy install. If someone else already posted this I apologize but was not able to find many pics by a quick search. Instructions are included with the antenna but heres what I did and pics follow. In the before couple of before pics the jeep is kind of dirty so thats why the pics look kind of fuzzy, the after pics I kept it wet so the sharkfin would feel at home :lol:

The OEM antenna was 11 inches plus the 1 inch thick base for a 12 inch total antenna. The new one is about 3 inches! Looks much better and less stuff in the way with skis on top!

All you need is the larger of the two screws included in the sharkfin, (I suppose that may vary from model to model depending on what OEM antenna was installed), a flat screwdriver, hairdryer (depending on outside temp), rubbing alcohol, goo gone or other adhesive remover or dawn dish soap, masking tape, and of course the sharkfin.

The factory antenna screws right off by hand, make sure the surface is clean, I had to give it a quick wash because my jeep was pretty dirty. Use the adhesive remover and rubbing alcohol to remove any traces of dirt and especially wax from the paint where the antenna will sit. I tried the dawn dishwashing soap as suggested in the instructions but didnt cut through my wax I applied only a few weeks ago. I used Goo Gone adhesive removed and that worked well. The instructions recommend a 3M adhesive remover but I figured any adhesive remover would work.

Correctly position the sharkfin over the antenna base making sure it is not touching the base underneath. Use masking tape to mark the alignment. It was in the mid 30s here today and the instructions recommend a "room temp" surface to ensure it sticks well. I used a hairdryer a few inches away for a few minutes and it warmed up the surface nicely with no chance of heat damage to the paint like with a heat gun. The under side of the sharkfin has a coiled wire with a ring terminal connector. Use the included screw to attach it to the antenna base on the roof.

I gave the area one more wipe with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was clean and let the alcohol evaporate. Then remove the paper backing from the adhesive tape and carefully stick the antenna onto the roof using your tape outline as a guide. Be very careful as the tape is VERY sticky and there is NO moving or repositioning. Hold pressure on the sharkfin for a good minute per the instructions so the pressure sensitive tape sticks.

I tested and both satellite and AM/FM come in as good or better than before. The antenna is well designed, and the paint matches perfectly with all the sparkles and whatever just like the factory paint. When you order they will do custom paint to match. Below are some photos of the install and some other random pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More

Attachments

#5 ·
Nicely done and sounds easy enough. Thanks.
Your original antenae looks different and longer than what came with mine. Never the less, I would change to a shark fin if I ever buy a roof rail/rack.

#6 ·
From what I have read here in various threads it seems they have shipped with three different size antennas depending on build dates or maybe randomness (your choice). I know there is the 11 inch one I had and a 4 inch rubber one people have been purchasing from the dealer and swapping out. I think there is also an 8 or 10 inch one as well.

#8 ·
Send them an email with your paint color and model. They are still in "pre-production" but will get back to you quickly by email and also send you a paypal invoice if you want to order. They stated 2 week lead time but it made it here from Canada in about 10 business days.

#11 ·
+1 to the sharkfin, looks great, easy mod, reception is good, no fuss with roof rack loads.

you can also choose the chrysler 300 for many if not most of the stock WK2 paint colors. the bright silver is identical to the JGC.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I used to have one on my Mazda Protege5. I love that shark fin look.

#17 ·
I don't understand why these are standard equipment in the first place. Especially when you consider that many owners will have issues with clearance of their garage doors or issues loading cargo on the roof.

Is it a cost-related issue? Or are the shark fin antennas not really as good as the mast antennas?

#19 ·
Is it a cost-related issue? Or are the shark fin antennas not really as good as the mast antennas?
probably a cost issue. Definitely not quality. Seems to me the local talk radio AM station comes in better. No change in satellite or FM. At least as good as factory. It must be cost, stock wire antenna probably cost them a couple bucks compared to the fin and the interior circuit. These go for about $80 with shipping.

#18 ·
My Suburban has AM/FM in the side rear window glass. And Corvettes have XM antennas mounted in the side mirrors. Would it have really been that hard to do on the GC?

#20 ·
My 4Runner has a diversity antenna system built into the glass on both side rear windows. Each wire grid is a different design and the headunit picks up whichever signal is stronger at any given time. It's a really excellent antenna that does a great job of picking up even relatively weak signals.

#24 ·
Lots of small items, like the wooden shift knob, were decontented from preproduction units. Who knows that there might be even more decontenting ahead, but bottom line is that the GC is succeeding in part because it is priced under the competition.

Lower price, less stuff.

#27 ·
Works for all of them, I saw no difference in xm reception or am/fm. But I do believe the nav antenna at least for the 730n I have is located in the dash not the roof.

#28 ·
Hmm, I have been looking forward to doing this mod since I saw your first post on it, w'works. But now you've got me thinking. I have the 430n RHB, so I need to verify that this swap won't hose the antenna for that model of navi.

Just finished putting on the Mopar crossbars (not sure if that qualifies me as a rookie modder). I'm getting used to the jaunty raked-back look of the stock antenna but the sharkfin is sexy.

#29 ·
+1 to the Sharkfin. Note you can match most Jeep colors by choosing identical Chrysler paint from the Sharkfin website.

IIRC, the sharkfin replaces the AM/FM mast, as the NAV antenna is above the unit on the dash near the windshield, and the SAT radio antenna is a black rectangular antenna about the size of a deck of cards on the rear roof (at least on mine, evidently some do not have this).

#30 ·
Thx, moose. I recall seeing the color-matching feature at the site.

I have not seen many other WK2 photos that have your style of SAT antenna. I would be interested in hearing from other 430n owners with sharkfins who do NOT have that type of add'l antenna so that I can be confident that my configuration will work with this mod. It appears that some of the other sharkfinners do not have the flat roof antenna like yours but I don't know if they've got 730s or 430s. Hope that makes sense.

#31 ·
FWIW the Sirius antenna is the base of the stock antenna which the sharkfin sits over. The metal "wire" portion of the stock antenna is the am/fm section. In the sharkfin instructions it specifically says to ensure that the sharkfin is not touching the base when you do the install probably because it would interfere with reception. That separate antenna was shown in EARLY pictures on the WK2 that I have seen only. I have yet to see one with a July/August or later build date that has the separate two antennas on the roof. I think that must have been combined with the now stock antenna which makes sense because otherwise that would have been retarded. :D

#33 ·
Possibility chrysler just removed the tall antenna mast for the promo pics. Just a guess.

#41 ·
Will the 300 fit a 2012 with the brilliant black?

Do you lose any 3G reception with the shark fin? I know you lose some FM/AM reception, but that's not too much of a concern for me. I am think more in regards to satellite reception for location data and 3G signal data through the antenna.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.