Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Busted Steering Rack (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/busted-steering-rack-15598.html)

Dunecrawler 11-28-2010 03:34 AM

Busted Steering Rack

So the other day we went on a short desert drive. At the end of it I got a "Service 4WD system" message on the EVIC. I lost all power steering and on inspection found that all the steering rack fluid was gone. After crawling around underneath the vehicle, I found that the fluid was leaking out of a small hole in the right hand side steering rack boot.

At this point I elected to slowly drive the 20 miles or so on the highway back to the city and leave the vehicle with Jeep service centre. We did that without any problems.

Now I assumed, wrongly I think, that the problem was caused while we were helped by some kind locals to dig ourselves out after getting stuck. I assumed that in the process of digging under the vehicle, the shovel got caught on the boot and tore a small hole.
I do not really know that much about the steering system, but I would think that that boot is only a dust cover and not normally filled with steering fluid, right? And if that is the case, then why did the fluid leak out the small tear in the boot?

Jeep just called and said the steering rack is busted. They are not sure yet if it is only a seal or what, but the fluid is leaking out of the steering rack and the boot that's torn is just coincidental. They are trying to find the exact problem and checking on availability of a new steering rack.

Crap! This could take a while if they don’t have all the parts for the WK2 available in-country yet. Will keep you updated. :(

rdalcanto 11-28-2010 09:50 AM

Re: Busted Steering Rack

Thanks for the update! Hope they get your parts soons!

O.k. - so "note to self" - Don't take jeep through puddles OR sand. Got it! :worried:
(new jeep is looking more and more like a budget X5 everday...)

whatevrworks 11-28-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 308297)
Thanks for the update! Hope they get your parts soons!

O.k. - so "note to self" - Don't take jeep through puddles OR sand. Got it! :worried:
(new jeep is looking more and more like a budget X5 everday...)

I heard a rumor that the recommended driving method for taking this jeep offroad is:

1. Turn down your street.
2. Turn OFF the ROAD into your driveway.
3. Park in garage (no . . . leaving in driveway is too dangerous, afterall you would hate to hydrolock due to rain!).

Nickoland 11-28-2010 11:31 AM

From ur sig it doesn't say you are trail rated....

Dunecrawler 11-28-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickoland (Post 308336)
From ur sig it doesn't say you are trail rated....

I am, the Jeep obviously is not...
Joking aside. The only difference trail rated makes is the 18" wheels, and skid plates and neither would have made any difference in the sand. That is why I decided on the overland.
You will also notice that I call myself "Dunecrawler" not "RockCrawler". Water is obviously also not a concern

moosehead 11-28-2010 01:11 PM

Hope you are able to get parts and fix soon DC, and that you will continue to take the offroad less travelled.

Cheers.

Dunecrawler 11-29-2010 02:35 AM

They just called and said they are replacing the complete steering rack. One of the oil seals failed for no obvious reason. Should have it back by tomorrow

Scottina06 11-29-2010 08:04 AM

sorry...I find it hard to believe that it just failed and didnt fail after you had it offroad in sand. JMO....nothing againt you...just saying

Technosavant 11-29-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 308721)
They just called and said they are replacing the complete steering rack. One of the oil seals failed for no obvious reason. Should have it back by tomorrow

Probably just a bad seal from the factory. Sometimes crap just breaks because something slipped through quality control. A part like that, once the supplier hands it over, there's no way to find it before it dies.

Dunecrawler 11-29-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 308748)
sorry...I find it hard to believe that it just failed and didnt fail after you had it offroad in sand. JMO....nothing againt you...just saying

Obviously it failed after off-roading in the sand. I never disputed that. I THOUGHT it failed because of the spade thing, but I was wrong. A seal or something probably failed because it was worked harder than normal. However, you would expect that a 4x4 with lots of R&D and a legacy of off road ability would be able to handle it, regardless of it being trail rated or not. It probably would have eventually failed, even driving on normal paved roads. I have lots of sand driving experience with a variety of vehicles and have never had this kind of problem.
I think the last post by Technosavant is more accurate and sometimes s**t just happens...

Dunecrawler 11-30-2010 03:07 AM

I just got the Jeep back. They replaced the complete steering rack, with no complaints. They actually made lots of apologies for the inconvenience.
So, I am back on the road again and happy for now.

violant00 11-30-2010 06:00 AM

Until you go over another sandbox! :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 309392)
I just got the Jeep back. They replaced the complete steering rack, with no complaints. They actually made lots of apologies for the inconvenience.
So, I am back on the road again and happy for now.