Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   lowered vs lifted... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/lowered-vs-lifted-15604.html)

beansgc 11-28-2010 10:09 AM

lowered vs lifted...

alright fella's

I currently rock an 05 wk limited 5.7 hemi. Mods include 2" rough country bb lift, bilsteins all around, muffler delete and 32" mickey baja's at's.

Kinda bored with the truck and have been looking at all the srt8 cloned jeeps especially scottina06's and am wondering if you lowered guys wish you would have gone lifted?

I'm starting to think that i want to lower mine and go the clone "srt8" route.

Relwarc 11-28-2010 11:00 AM

Re: lowered vs lifted...

honestly, if its not an SRT, then lowering it is kinda useless.... the body lines on the SRT lend themselves to being lowered.

other WK's... GO UP!

Scottina06 11-28-2010 11:10 AM

well...since you asked...HELL NO I wouldnt go lifted! And lowering is not useless....its about as useless as lifting! Atleast with lowering you can enjoy it on a daily basis and not just when you are offroading. I mean...how can driving a lifted rig on ballon tires be a joy on a daily basis? Road noise and handling would be unbearable IMO.

Relwarc 11-28-2010 12:51 PM

you might think the lift and tires would suck, but its actually smoother than mine was stock. Also, i enjoy not worrying about curbs, potholes, or speed bumps all day.

macmac 11-28-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 308333)
well...since you asked...HELL NO I wouldnt go lifted! And lowering is not useless....its about as useless as lifting! Atleast with lowering you can enjoy it on a daily basis and not just when you are offroading. I mean...how can driving a lifted rig on ballon tires be a joy on a daily basis? Road noise and handling would be unbearable IMO.

This man speaks the truth.....
________
PENNY STOCKS

cort692 11-28-2010 03:53 PM

You drive a Jeep.

If you want an SRT, buy one.

MSCA 11-28-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beansgc (Post 308306)
alright fella's

I currently rock an 05 wk limited 5.7 hemi. Mods include 2" rough country bb lift, bilsteins all around, muffler delete and 32" mickey baja's at's.

Kinda bored with the truck and have been looking at all the srt8 cloned jeeps especially scottina06's and am wondering if you lowered guys wish you would have gone lifted?

I'd never lower an SUV or a truck. To me, that's just silly. If you want something to lower, buy a sports car.

SUVs are about capability, whether you're driving in snow, mud, or offroad. And obviously anyone who lowers their SUV is making that type of capability worse, not better. If I didn't want/need that kind of capability in the first place, why would I even buy an SUV? That's why I agree that lowering vehicles like these is useless.

jeeppro 11-28-2010 04:23 PM

its useless to lift a truck cause then you have to change rears better drive line

Knightrider03m 11-28-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cort692 (Post 308423)
You drive a Jeep.

If you want an SRT, buy one.

:popcorn:

OBXJeep 11-29-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beansgc (Post 308306)
alright fella's

if you decide to do the swap, how much you got left on those MTs and how much you want? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 308333)

I don't have any issues and I live down a winding 3.5 road. Mud tires are noisy but AT tires aren't really that bad. I think I noticed more noise when I added the roof rack than the tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 308374)
you might think the lift and tires would suck, but its actually smoother than mine was stock. Also, i enjoy not worrying about curbs, potholes, or speed bumps all day.

Mine too. I wouldn't say I don't worry about that stuff but definately not as much. Also for example, the other day no one was on the road and I wanted to go left but I had to go a quarter mile right to make a u-turn oooooorrrrrr drive up and over the median. Which one do you think I did? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 308431)
I'd never lower an SUV or a truck. To me, that's just silly. If you want something to lower, buy a sports car.

SUVs are about capability, whether you're driving in snow, mud, or offroad. And obviously anyone who lowers their SUV is making that type of capability worse, not better. If I didn't want/need that kind of capability in the first place, why would I even buy an SUV? That's why I agree that lowering vehicles like these is useless.

I wouldn't say that I would NEVER lower an SUV or truck. If it were something like a SRT than sure b/c you get the best of both worlds. You get the sports car and the space of a SUV. If I could afford both street and off-road Jeeps I would but for now I being able to drive on the beach when it's nice out or whatever I get a wild hair to do.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 11-29-2010 01:21 AM

Lower the DD other than it looking cool, it also gives you a lower center of gravity for daily driving purposes and makes cornering much more bearable, added with some SRT sway bars and bwoody links, it'll handle better than a lifted truck ... I have nothing against lifting a truck but for street driving lowered all the way

Marlin 11-29-2010 01:24 AM

You're always gonna get differing opinions :)

Ask 100 people, get 100 difference answers.

Ask 100 old men and you'll get "my way is right and you're an idiot sonny boy".

I've had mine lowered, then up to stock again, then lowered again, then up again! I like to mix it up a bit :)

I don't have any preconceived ideas and I've owner serious capability lifted trucks before, and sports cars, and I honestly like my Jeep lowered a couple of inches....

Why? Because it still takes me off-road as far as I want to take a vehicle of it's type, AND it handles and rides nicely.

Honestly, anyone who comes across as strongly one-eyed, you should ignore their opinions, because they're far too biased... and possibly even, "old men" :D

;)