Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Street salt on bright black (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/street-salt-on-bright-black-15609.html)

rusloc 11-28-2010 04:21 PM

Street salt on bright black

This time I had to go in the snow/ice and salt on the Seattle streets because of a doctor appointment. But I will think twice next time. It took me a very LONG time to wash all that salt off my brand new shiny jeep.
:)

At the same time, it's good that you can visually detect all that salt and remove it. On a silver or white car it can stay unnoticed and eventually will ruin the paint.

robpp 11-28-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Street salt on bright black

its not the salt on your paint you need to worry about. its underneath.
did you spray down the complete underside.......that where the salt is a problem

rusloc 11-28-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 308436)
its not the salt on your paint you need to worry about. its underneath.
did you spray down the complete underside.......that where the salt is a problem

I forgot! Stupid me. Thanks for the reminder.

MeanDean 11-28-2010 08:32 PM

Since when did the tree-huggers in the Great PNW start using salt to de-ice the streets?!?

Seriously, I don't think that you have to worry about the salt here. It's probably some kind of coffee ground-reclaimed wood-eco friendly recycled Birkenstock stuff. Probably some granola in there somewhere too.

SLVRLTNG 11-28-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 308563)
Since when did the tree-huggers in the Great PNW start using salt to de-ice the streets?!?

Seriously, I don't think that you have to worry about the salt here. It's probably some kind of coffee ground-reclaimed wood-eco friendly recycled Birkenstock stuff. Probably some granola in there somewhere too.

:lol: :lol: :slapfight: :lol: :lol:

Sparro 11-28-2010 11:01 PM

As long as it stays cold out, the salt shouldn't harm your vehicle. Yes, wash it off cause it looks like crap, but heat activates the salt and thats when the real damage is done. Avoid heated garages in the winter, that will kill your vehicle.

rusloc 11-29-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 308563)
It's probably some kind of coffee ground-reclaimed wood-eco friendly recycled Birkenstock stuff. Probably some granola in there somewhere too.

Maybe you're right. But it sure looks like salt.

http://gallery.me.com/zimanet/100353...12905756270001

Speaking of heated garages that can kill the vehicle, I don't know... Even outside it's over 40 degrees now.
Anyway, I washed the car and it's clean now.

MeanDean 11-30-2010 11:09 AM

Well, it does indeed look like salt. Hmmm....

I really don't know what to say. I never expected that up here. Time to do a little research...

And here's what I found, with apologies to the OP:

Snow: Salt being used to de-ice Seattle streets
For the first time in more than a decade, salt was being used to de-ice Seattle streets Sunday night.
Seattle Department of Transportation crews began salting streets because more than 4 inches fell in parts of West Seattle and North Seattle, Seattle Department of Transportation spokesman Rick Sheridan said.
"We are utilizing salt on primary arterials, hills, bus routes and around hospital and emergency facilities," he said about 10 p.m.
He did not have specific streets offhand, but said the salting would be in coordination with the city arterial clearing plan.
Seattle's priority snow-clearing routes are listed here.
Until Sunday, the city had had a no-salt practice for de-icing streets because of environmental concerns and potential risk to salmon populations.
But after a late December snowstorm that brought treacherous driving conditions for more than a week, Seattle mayor Greg Nickels took heavy criticism and changed the city's policy.
"We have 100 tons of salt on hand right now," Sheridan said Sunday. "We secured it as of Friday from a private-sector vendor and we have 200 more tons showing up early tomorrow to augment that."

DaveJKJ 11-30-2010 04:02 PM

The road salt really shows up good on black. Mine turns white.

Normally I wait for the roads to dry out and then go down the street to the do-it-yourself car wash and power spray it from top to bottom. Then I spray the underneith and wheel wells real good. After every storm.

Eurosport 11-30-2010 05:43 PM

should have gave her couple wax coats before driving into that nastiness ;p