Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   LED Side Marker Light Install with Pics (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/led-side-marker-light-install-with-pics-15660.html)

whatevrworks 11-29-2010 05:31 PM

LED Side Marker Light Install with Pics

7 Attachment(s)
Ok in the latest edition of LEDs for Dummies . . . Just kidding. I replaced the front side marker lights with Putco LEDs today. This is a VERY easy install no tools at all needed as long as you know how to access the harness.

There is no way to reach the marker light from the top or the back of the headlight unit without taking out a ton of stuff. Luckily the Jeep engineers were smart enough to build in a plastic screw-off/out access panel in the wheel wells. The side marker light appears to be the only purpose of this access panel since nothing else is serviceable in there. To remove the bulb give the light harness a quarter turn and it comes right out, I found it easier to pull the plastic safety retainer clip on the wiring harness first then twist out the light so it is more maneuverable in the tight space when not still attached. Swap out the LEDs (make sure they light because there appears to be polarity on these LEDS in this case so if they dont light pull it out and rotate 180 degrees). The install is the reverse of removal. One caution is at the base of the grey bulb "socket" there is a while silicone O-ring that comes out of place pretty easy, make sure that is back where it is supposed to be so you dont get condensation in your headlamp unit.

These are the bulbs I used, $19.95 and you get free second day shipping for amazon prime members:

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230194A-...1069567&sr=1-1

Couple of notes: Make sure you get the amber ones, I tried white temporarily but a lot of the light is filtered by the amber lens and they seem dimmer. Also be careful with the access panels, the sound insulation material is the only thing that holds them in, and I can see that being an issue down the line if they loosen up.

1. Top view of drivers side headlamp to show lack of access.
2. Top/rear view driver side headlamp to show lack of access.
3. Access panel in wheel well.
4. Panel removed.
5. Panel opening.
6. Upward view inside access panel area toward front vehicle you can see the side marker harness the round object to the right is part of the bi-xenon assembly.
7. Side marker OEM bulb and harness. OEM is W5W (wedge type 5 watt, amber in color basically a 194 bulb).
8. Showing safety retainer clip on harness.
9. LED replacement
10. LED replacement
11. LED replacement
12. LED replacement installed.

whatevrworks 11-29-2010 05:32 PM

Re: LED Side Marker Light Install with Pics

5 Attachment(s)
The rest:

yukon 11-29-2010 05:48 PM

I am going to be very busy when I get my Oveland in a couple of weeks replacing all those bulbs with LED's ....... thanks much for all the info.:)

moosehead 11-29-2010 05:56 PM

You sir, are possessed. But in a great way. Thank you sir, may we have another?

whatevrworks 11-29-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 309038)
You sir, are possessed. But in a great way. Thank you sir, may we have another?

haha! Still have the main reverse lights, liftgate reverse lights, and liftgate tail lights to go. And still trying to find a plug-n-play solution for brake lights/turn signals that wont give a bulb out indicator. Plenty more to come!

NYCSRTATE 11-29-2010 05:59 PM

Good stuff. I still need to get my DR LED's!

Definitely possessed but in a good money spending way!

Stroked & Blown 11-29-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 309041)
And still trying to find a plug-n-play solution for brake lights/turn signals that wont give a bulb out indicator. Plenty more to come!

IMO, next to the yellow DRLs, the amber-when-off front turn signals are the next thing to change. I am considering doing the chrome bulbs, which I've used in the past with success. The biggest problem with them is their output is diminished: http://www.xenonmods.com/xenonmods_c...bulbs_main.htm

Bubs 11-29-2010 06:19 PM

Thanks for the another great post. Is there a noticeable difference in light output from the LED vs the stock bulbs for the side markers?

whatevrworks 11-29-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 309046)
IMO, next to the yellow DRLs, the amber-when-off front turn signals are the next thing to change. I am considering doing the chrome bulbs, which I've used in the past with success. The biggest problem with them is their output is diminished: http://www.xenonmods.com/xenonmods_c...bulbs_main.htm

I think those would be nice! A lot better than the yellow looking ones. If you can solve the voltage/fast blink issue you could swap LEDs since they are colorless until lit. But yeah the chrome silver look much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubs (Post 309048)
Thanks for the another great post. Is there a noticeable difference in light output from the LED vs the stock bulbs for the side markers?

Not nearly as noticeable as DRL or license plate lights but they are brighter. Biggest advantage is I should never have to replace them since they are rated at 50,000 hours and have a lifetime warranty. And I figure cooler (as in temp) is always better especially near headlamp assemblies where heat can contribute to yellowing and clouding of the main plastic lens. I absolutely hate clouded hazy headlights!

Lingohocken 11-30-2010 01:05 AM

Hopefully Jeep will replace Edisons with LEDs throughout and brighter fogs/drivers as stock in future years as bulb prices drop.