Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Other Rides (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/)
-   -   1998 Z28 Live or Let Die??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/1998-z28-live-or-let-die-15678.html)

HEM-ME 11-30-2010 07:46 AM

1998 Z28 Live or Let Die???

So, I'm torn..

Just got the WK to replace the Camaro but I'm not sure what to do with her now. She's got something bad going on in the engine (specific, huh?). It's ugly loud knocking. I've been quoted about $1500 in labor to drop the engine plus (?) in parts. The first mechanic was able to find only one local LS1 but he wants $2000 even though it has 100,000 on it. I have another mechanic putting a quote together and a third mechanic that ran away screaming.

My options are:

1-Sell as is (for what?)
2-Fix her and sell her (option one would probably be more profitable and less headache)
3-Fix her and keep her (she has been good to us)

Advice? Any LS1 experience out there?

wingnut 11-30-2010 09:29 AM

Re: 1998 Z28 Live or Let Die???

I would fix it and keep it. LS motor's are cheap to build.

Knightrider03m 11-30-2010 11:54 AM

Sale it. I would sale my ss if it wasn't for the fact that someone gave it too me.

Denny boy 12-01-2010 12:40 AM

Give it to me and ill send you a picture when she's done :)

If she's been good to you keep her as a project car. Fix her your self, all you need is the drive to do it.

HEM-ME 12-04-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny boy (Post 309894)
Give it to me and ill send you a picture when she's done :)

If she's been good to you keep her as a project car. Fix her your self, all you need is the drive to do it.

HAHA! Yeah, I'd like to DIY it but my level of mechanical experience ends somewhere between putting in gas and changing the oil. As for tools and equipment, I finally upgraded to a hydraulic jack after getting tired of dicking around with those shitty crank jobbers most cars have, but that's about it. So yeah, it would have to be hired out.

I have been told that Craigslist is my friend. A mechanic offered a super lowball price on her but I'm just not ready to let go.. lol. Then, of course, the other half (correctly) reminds me how much a money pit in the drive isn't necessarily, uh, necessary.

maxst2 12-04-2010 09:34 PM

bah screw replacing it. pull the engine and rebuild it. long as it doesnt have a rod through its side...lol

GiggityGiggity 12-16-2010 11:30 AM

From a LT1 camaro owner and a LS Vette owner who's wrenched on his own cars for many years any opportunity I got I would say this the absolute greatest Christmas gift one could receive. Glass half full!

Here is your chance to potentially build your custom camaro. IMO, i'd grab a GM crate engine of your choice that fits your budget and drop it in. Trade your current LS for the labour required for the swap or sell it to pay for the swap. The T56 in that car will handle gobs of torque and HP with out breaking and so will the rest of the drive train. I'd slap some sub frame connectors on it and some traction bars, some semi slicks out back and have fun in the summer with the new toy.

Honestly, for a car thats been so good to you that obviously have an attachment too why not pamper it and yourself. C'mon! You know you want too!

This would be perfect for the street and you can swap your top end and entire fuel system on to it. Go for a tune and enjoy!
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...8772&engCat=sb

or this if you want to run FI it will be a beast!
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...049&engCat=lsx

I'd also get nice brake kit some suspension upgrades from hotchkis. It can be a work in progress. Start with the engine and work your way towards the other mods like I mentioned.

Good luck!

JTS97Z28 01-04-2011 04:44 PM

Sounds like you may have a spun main bearing or something. Im not much into the F-bodies anymore but as others have said you could build the motor if you wanted to. Otherwise maybe clean it up real nice, fix the bearings (or whatever issue it has), and sell it.

James

apstang50 01-04-2011 07:21 PM

Sell it to a scrap yard, it's only a camaro, it won't be missed.

transamz9 01-16-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apstang50 (Post 328448)
Sell it to a scrap yard, it's only a camaro, it won't be missed.

Bring your little "Stang" to Ky and will show you what won't be missed.We won't even bother with getting the T/A out of the garage we'll just do it with a Cummins with a #4000 trailer behind it.:slapfight::slapfight::lol::lol: