Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   15k Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/15k-service-15684.html)

08Hemi 11-30-2010 12:31 PM

15k Service

Well...my Jeep dealer has gone out of business in my town :mad:

I got my last oil changed @ 14,5XX miles, and the service guy asked me if I wanted the "15k" service...I remembered from wkjeeps.com that I was more in the Schedule "A" (light) as the weather conditions here are not heavy. The only part that is heavy is my foot, so does driving her hard mean I should follow Schedule "B"? No towing, no freezing/hot weather, no long ideling, rarely short trips of 10 miles or less...

I now have 17,XXX miles. I have been very good about changing my oil every 4K miles or less. 6k is recommended (right?), but it seems a lot of you do it every 3k?

So just want to hear some feedback about what you 5.7L guys have been doing with regards to 15-20k service. Tranny feels good and temp is fine, I have a 2wd so no transfer case, rear axle feels good (but idk how it looks in there, this is prolly the main one I am thinking about servicing), and 18K is recommended to lube brake caliper pins. How do I do that? What type of lube is used? Do I need to take the wheels off (hope not)?

Any and all info is appreciated...I did some searching but couldn't find the answers to re: the 15K service, and the brake caliper pins/lube is on here IIRC but I could not find that either...so if there are posts you know of that answer my questions I apologize for the redundancy and please post links.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

GR33N D3M0N 11-30-2010 01:16 PM

Re: 15k Service

damn, i put 30k miles in the last 2 years...good luck!!

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-30-2010 03:28 PM

follow schedule B

robpp 11-30-2010 04:08 PM

i foloowed A cause my Jeep is 07 with LT10K miles.

so i was coming up to 3yrs 30K.

i went wkjeeps; got all my stuff on paper. next made a list of exactly what i needed and shopped.

only dealer only item was transfer case fluid. 2 qts needed.

i think its a total of 4 bottles of gear oil for the axles; you need the one with the friction modifier. or buy it without and get that FM from the dealer. enough for both front and rear. i used Mobil 1 75-140 oil.

next spark plugs: get the OEM equivalent at the parts store. Cahmpion or whatever is in wkjeeps. you need 16.

trans is not touched.
air filter oil that stuff

brake pins: get some lube from the store.....any parts has it. i forget which brand i have but I heard we shouldnt get the copper stuff. IDK. i have CRC synthetic brake/caliper grease. its easy. just opull the pins and smear, put them back.

KEEP EVERY RECIEPT. EVEN THE BRAKE GREASE.

now if you can do all the labor, have at it.

I went to the local place i trust. i had them do the axles and tc as i didnt want to deal with them. get a reciept for everything.

if you did it youself, write it and date it on your parts reciept.

my bro friend just had a problem with a ford f250 trans and they came after him for service records. he had to come up with all the reciepts. SO.........

Keirik 03-06-2011 08:56 PM

so is there actually a 15k service? I'm at 15k and the manual says no change until 18k but my idicator showed i need to change my oil already in the EVIC.

09 Overland HEMI.