Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Towing and fuel economy 3.6L not acceptable (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/towing-and-fuel-economy-3-6l-not-acceptable-15686.html)

jstfly 11-30-2010 01:23 PM

Towing and fuel economy 3.6L not acceptable

Hi all,

I love my new Overland everything about it but the towing capability!!! I just towed a double enclosed snowmobile trailer with only 1 snowmobile in it and did not get better then 20L/100km. Average speed was 110km/hr. I would think the weight is approx. 1000 to 1300lbs max. The shifting was horrible it stayed in 3rd gear for too long and never shifted into 5th gear unless I forced it by moving the shifter to the right.

Any thoughts......... I had 1500kms on it when I towed the trailer.

Does the tranny take some time to optimize itself?

need help....I am very unhappy...my previous vehicle was a WK with the Diesel and that got 12L/100km at 120Km/hr speeds. I knew it would not be the same but this is bad....

bpmcgee 11-30-2010 01:33 PM

Re: Towing and fuel economy 3.6L not acceptable

jstfly,

For the record, you can't force it to upshift. All the shifter does is limit the MAXIMUM gear. In other words, all it does is prevent upshifting. If you leave it in "D" it's fully automatic. If you move it to 4, you prevent it ever going into 5th. 3 prevents it from ever going into 4th, etc.

Nickoland 11-30-2010 01:36 PM

Short of doing 2-3 google searches, if this is better than 6 gallons per 60 miles (10mpg), I'd say thats expected.

Nbtstatic 11-30-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickoland (Post 309529)
Short of doing 2-3 google searches, if this is better than 6 gallons per 60 miles (10mpg), I'd say thats expected.

+1

20L = 5.28 Gallon

100km = 62 miles

5.28/62= 11.75 mpg

Also, your Jeep probably isnt broken in yet, you may get another mpg or two out of it with some time, which would put you at maybe 13-14 mpg towing which sounds pretty realistic to me.

jstfly 11-30-2010 01:48 PM

When I leave it in Auto it will never shift into 5th gear. Also the mpg is 11.76 mpg. Sorry my head is in Canadian mode.

I guess my bigger concern is that it never shifted into 5th and I think thats why the fuel economy is terrible.

jeep2011 11-30-2010 01:57 PM

It won't shift into 5th gear if there is to much load on the engine. IE..... trailer weight, speed, or incline.

I never recommend towing in overdrive. You will burn up your overdrive if you try to put it in 5th manually under that load. All cars/trucks with a tow/haul button locks out overdrive to a certain extent. It sounds like the transmission is acting perfectly normal to me.

Technosavant 11-30-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstfly (Post 309533)
When I leave it in Auto it will never shift into 5th gear. Also the mpg is 11.76 mpg. Sorry my head is in Canadian mode.

I guess my bigger concern is that it never shifted into 5th and I think thats why the fuel economy is terrible.

Part of it is you need to break the vehicle in. Part of it is also yes, in 4th gear you won't get near the same economy you will at the same speed in 5th. As to why it didn't upshift, I don't know- too few data points. If it NEVER goes into 5th gear (even when not towing), yes, you have a problem. If it's only when towing, then I don't know what the issue is.

The V-6 is rated for 5000lbs towing, so even a 2000lb load shouldn't be any big deal.

moosehead 11-30-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 309535)
It won't shift into 5th gear if there is to much load on the engine. IE..... trailer weight, speed, or incline.

I never recommend towing in overdrive. You will burn up your overdrive if you try to put it in 5th manually under that load. All cars/trucks with a tow/haul button locks out overdrive to a certain extent. It sounds like the transmission is acting perfectly normal to me.

+1 to this^, circa 11 mpg is also good for towing as well despite lower 1500 lb load. I really think you're good here, unless the vehicle felt unstable under power or braking? What was your prior tow rig?

My old v6 vw touareg did exactly the same and was fine with nearly 5k lbs of boat and trailer. It just worked a bit harder in lower gears and at higher rpms when accellerating or ascending hills.

rdalcanto 11-30-2010 02:11 PM

What altitude do you live at? The V6 when I test drove it struggled going up hill at 5,000ft of elevation, and would certainly not tow well up here. Sounds like you should have ordered the hemi.

jstfly 11-30-2010 02:11 PM

I will wait until it breaks in...when do you guys feel it is sufficiently broken in?

whatevrworks 11-30-2010 02:59 PM

Was "tow/haul" on? If so that is what is affecting your shifting ranges and will also influence your mpg. Face it though that engine is not made for towing. No matter what it is rated for it is working a lot harder and at higher rpm than the 8 would be. Might see some improvement with more breakin but with a light load you might consider leaving "tow" mode off that may help. But only with a light load so you don't burn up the tranny. Then the is the issue of enclosed snowmobile trailers
They are not exactly aerodynamic the one I used to have was line towing a giant sail behind the car. A lot more drag and decreased mpg alone from that compared to a regular trailer with no enclosure.

JoeSchmoe007 11-30-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 309549)
...Then the is the issue of enclosed snowmobile trailers
They are not exactly aerodynamic the one I used to have was line towing a giant sail behind the car. A lot more drag and decreased mpg alone from that compared to a regular trailer with no enclosure.

I see your point but OP towed the same snowmobile and got much better mileage with his previous WK