Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Which mod should I do? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/which-mod-should-i-do-15693.html)

Chuck 11-30-2010 04:09 PM

Which mod should I do?

Hello everyone! Well I need some guidance. I actually have some money to spend for the Jeep but I don't know what to spend it on exactly. Here is my dilemma:

-I've been told that I need to replace shocks for a very long time now. Frankly the ride isn't really smooth but it isn't unbearable by any means. I would replace the stock shocks with Bilsteins HD's and the steering stabilizer to a rancho (I forgot the model number).

-I just need a little more bump in my music (nothing horrendous though). I mean Im satisfied with the sound but from time to time its seems to lack. Im aiming for:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+P3L-1X12.html

All I would need to get after that is the wiring and an amp.

So what do you guys suggest?

cheapjeep 11-30-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Which mod should I do?

Hey Chuck! If it was me I'd get her rolling good first. Those shocks are only going to get worse. Bad shocks suck in winter. Besides I'll come up and we can mug some of the SRT guys (Maybe Joe he's got money)and get some REAL cash before all the Christmas electronic sales.:):)

robpp 11-30-2010 04:30 PM

shocks :thumbsup:

D1rtyLegend 11-30-2010 04:32 PM

Shocks

Frango100 11-30-2010 06:33 PM

I also would vote for the shocks. The shocks are one of the most important things for a safe ride. Maybe that you won't feel it too much during normal driving, but in critical situations your life can depend on them.

Joe's2001Laredo 11-30-2010 07:39 PM

Yea I put a vote in for the shocks.Wait and do the sound when spring/summer rolls around and you can have the windows down for all to hear.Makes more sense to put the money into keeping it riding well

Chuck 11-30-2010 08:02 PM

Alright I actually came to a big realization :indifferent: My Jeep has a stability problem (had it for some time), it tends to pull/wander at various times (when it happens, its crazy to keep the steering wheel straight) .Could the shocks really be the culprit? I'm googling the effects of not changing shocks and it seems to match up a little bit with my problems. Local mechanic (my usual mechanic sadly retired) tells me it might be because of my wheels (the heavier wheels affect steering) :rolleyes:. I was always under the impression that shocks simply affected the bounciness of a ride.

Frango100 12-01-2010 06:54 AM

The problem could also be in the alignment of the front wheels or play in the front suspension. The steering stabilizer also plays an important roll in the steering stability. I have changed mine half a year ago and the steering wheel feels more stiff and steady.
But when your shocks are shot, your wheels can loose contact with the ground and you loose steering control and the braking distance can increase significantly, all depending on the condition of the road.

scjeep4.7HO 12-01-2010 10:11 AM

Shocks.

Safety before music every time.

Chuck 12-05-2010 12:57 PM

Well good news, I just ordered Bilstein HD's and Rancho RS5409 steering stabilizer and some Mcgard lugs to replace the cheapo two piece lugs.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-05-2010 07:32 PM

nice way to go on the shocks i was gonna say that too

Chuck 12-05-2010 07:45 PM

You know after making this poll, I quickly realized how obvious the answer was :lol:. Im hoping the shocks can fix the wandering problem my Jeep has.