Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Demo discount? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/demo-discount-15696.html)

Slusse 11-30-2010 06:52 PM

Demo discount?

Has anybody purchased a dealer demo before and if so how much of a discount should I ask for? Its a 2011 Overland - don't know exact mileage yet but was just delivered to dealer 2 wks ago so it can't be too high. Have FFP pricing too but want to get an idea of how much to negotiate down from FFP price? OR Should I just wait on mine?

moosehead 11-30-2010 06:55 PM

Re: Demo discount?

Patience is a virgin.

I have neither.

If it is the configuration you want, then negotiate best deal you can at or below invoice and drive it away.

Proshop01 11-30-2010 07:50 PM

I would never buy a demo vehicle. I know when I test drive a vehicle I drive it like a stole it. Heavy throttle and heavy braking, etc. Not sure if this would affect engine break-in, but it probably wears on the vehicle, tire and brake-wise. Just my $0.02.

bozer 11-30-2010 08:14 PM

I had a dealer in NJ offer me his boss's demo for 3-4 grand more then the car is brand new. Never going back to that place again, idiots.

Scottina06 11-30-2010 09:23 PM

I was offered an Overland with 3000 miles for $5k off invoice.....it sold before I got the message. Not sure if it was a good deal....

wjs81866 11-30-2010 10:28 PM

my limited was a demo 5k miles driven by the dealer owner. Not a single problem, took $5500 off MSRP

jmpdev2020 11-30-2010 11:26 PM

$3 to $5k off sticker easy. Remember, it's basically a used car. But I agree with Propshop 01. Test drivers and dealership staff will beat these up pretty good.

blackpepper 12-01-2010 12:20 AM

It's still a new car because it doesn't have a title yet. Demos are the way to go.. still under warranty so any "thrashing" done to it can be addressed with the 3/36. With that said, knowing who drove it (owner, wife of owner..) does help in the decision making.

And I agree with the above posters, 3-5k off sticker without a doubt.

wjs81866 12-01-2010 08:24 AM

Thanks blackpepper

I know the dealership owner and it's not been driven rough or anything else, actually I have had more problems with my Laredo that had 25 miles on it when purcahsed then the demo Limited with 5,000. Plus I bought the maxcare lifetime warranty so if it breaks it gets fixed. Actually to clarify, it was a total of $6,700 off MSRP, I looked at the papers last night.

Slusse 12-01-2010 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the opinions! Still waiting to hear back on the mileage.

whatevrworks 12-01-2010 05:51 PM

There are different demo uses as others have stated. One dealership I was looking at had a limited demo back in July that no one was allowed to test drive because basically it was the owners free car to use. Then there was another demo that the sales manager had at a different dealership that they encourage people to test drive rather than putting miles on all their jeeps.

I would but the first no problem, the second no way! Because I know I beat the hell out of it, flying over railroad crossings trying to see how it would handle bumps and flooring it to see throttle response and basically thrashing everything on the jeep. Basically doing everything I would never do to a vehicle I actually owned.