Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   wj for racing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/wj-for-racing-15723.html)

wj_n_yj 12-01-2010 12:47 AM

wj for racing

Any of you have any experience building a 4.7 V8 for some real power output?
I would like to be in the 700+ hp range when done. I have been looking a while found some nice dakotas and a few other trucks making decent power but nothing close to 700 hp however .. not many dyno sheets out there either.
So can it be done with a 4.7 ? or should i plan instead on a engine swap to make enough hp ? supercharger or turbo of course probably turbo system. seem quite a few goodies out there but no real info on building the bottom end of the engine. I did read kennebell didn't go over 10lbs boost because the bottom end wouldn't hold up.

this is in a 2000 limited v8 ... I have never seen one that was actually fast makes me want to build it !! be fun to beat up on some cars with :)

monsterman 12-01-2010 10:45 AM

Re: wj for racing

I'm no expert... but from what I have read your going to be around 500 hp then with a shot of NOx ~600. 700 is a lofty measure and the amount of money to make that probably is not worth it to you.

scjeep4.7HO 12-02-2010 08:19 PM

I personally don't think it's possible with the current aftermaket support. These motors need high RPM for that kinda power. the heads aren't available to support it, cams aren't there unless you spend 1,500 buck on some custom billets, oil pump can't handle much more then stock RPM 6,500 max IMHO among other things. Like above post a ton of nitrous and hope to god you get one run on paper to brag about.

boots 12-06-2010 09:28 PM

I wanted to do a turbo setup on my 02 4.7 as well, but like scjeep said there is a limited amount of aftermarket support out there. But if you have the money to back it, it's not impossible. http://www.airram.com/contact_us.php offers a lot for the 4.7, but I have not bought anything from them so I can't speak for the work like there cylinder heads. There's also aftermarket parts for the 45RFE as well. If you do anything forced induction is the way to go.

Are the oil pump gears made out of powder metal like the 2.4 pump gears? We send our gears out for treatment and after that they hold 1000hp+ and high revs just fine.

FlyinRyan 12-06-2010 09:58 PM

The block can't support it
The heads can't flow it
The trans can't support it
The differentials will likely not support it

All evidence available seems to indicate the limit is about 600-650.

scjeep4.7HO 12-07-2010 05:11 AM

I have a few oil pumps laying around, and have taken them apart as well. They are a simple georotor style pump. It seems to be a machined steel or billet to me. Or at least the internal gear is.

boots 12-07-2010 10:24 PM

Well I bet there made from the same material that the chrysler 2.4 gears are made from. At first billet steel gears were made for our pumps, but they weren't exactly the cheapest and they had to be made. Now most places coat the gears and the pumps hold 1000hp+. So if I were you I would go that route and try it, Darrell cox racing would be a good place to contact, I'm sure they could look into sending your gears out for coating, dcrsrt.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO (Post 313159)
I have a few oil pumps laying around, and have taken them apart as well. They are a simple georotor style pump. It seems to be a machined steel or billet to me. Or at least the internal gear is.

boots 12-09-2010 10:29 PM

Anyone tried swapping an ls1 in yet? I saw on jeepforums.com someone did it in a cherokee, that would be a better platform to build off of and it would probably be lighter with a aluminum block.

FlyinRyan 12-10-2010 09:51 AM

If you could figure out the wiring, it'd be a perfect swap as the LS1 is smaller in every dimension, not to mention likely lighter because of the aluminum block.

boots 12-11-2010 12:38 PM

Someone do it lol, if I had my neon project finished I would move onto the WJ. But one thing at a time. Wiring really wouldn't be that bad, especially if you went with a standalone EMS like AEM they offer universal systems and I'm sure there are more options out there. What about bolt patterns for the trans, or I guess you could swap the whole driveline out as well.

wj_n_yj 12-12-2010 06:22 AM

how about transfer case mods ? i "think" np231 from wranglers have a chain mod that can double the strength but i couldn't find much on the 247 t-case. axle upgrades are easy enough lots of info out there on modifying them. be nice to launch in 4wd my jeep has the selec trac

scjeep4.7HO 12-12-2010 09:32 AM

The 247 is a pretty good piece. It's weakest part would probably be the chain if anything.