Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Does your windshield defroster come on with remote start? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/does-your-windshield-defroster-come-on-with-remote-start-15739.html)

jpsmith 12-01-2010 10:04 AM

Does your windshield defroster come on with remote start?

When I remote-start my WK2, it sets the heat to a good setting, turns on the butt-warmer if it's cold out, and defrosts the rear window and wing mirrors. What it doesn't do, however, is defrost the windshield. I remote-started it this morning 10 minutes before getting in to drive. It was nice & toasty inside, but the windshield still had a half inch of snow on it. I cleared the snow manually with a squeegee but I had to hit the windshield defrost button to get it to blast it with warm air. It was 5 minutes before the fog was burned off the inside of the windshield and I could see out of it.

Anyone else having this issue? Is this just how it works, or is my remove start comfort program not working right?

whatevrworks 12-01-2010 06:12 PM

Re: Does your windshield defroster come on with remote start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 310006)
When I remote-start my WK2, it sets the heat to a good setting, turns on the butt-warmer if it's cold out, and defrosts the rear window and wing mirrors. What it doesn't do, however, is defrost the windshield. I remote-started it this morning 10 minutes before getting in to drive. It was nice & toasty inside, but the windshield still had a half inch of snow on it. I cleared the snow manually with a squeegee but I had to hit the windshield defrost button to get it to blast it with warm air. It was 5 minutes before the fog was burned off the inside of the windshield and I could see out of it.

Anyone else having this issue? Is this just how it works, or is my remove start comfort program not working right?

Mine turns on sometimes and sometimes not. I wish someone could give a set a parameters that the jeep uses to make the decision. It is very good about the heated seats and rear defrost and for the most part setting the temp, but the other day I had about a eighth inch of frost and front defrost never turned on, while the day before nothing and it was cranking with I got in.

jpsmith 12-02-2010 08:47 AM

Glad to know it's not just me. Or maybe not. I'm not sure.

I looked through the EVIC and there seems to be only one setting - remote start comfort program on/off. I have it on. It kind of defeats the purpose of having remote start if I have to go out to the car to turn on the windshield defroster on cold mornings.

wjs81866 12-04-2010 09:11 PM

I'm not sure what the deal is with mine, I use the remote start and the heater comes on and rear defrost and heated driver seat. The all of the sudden the heat wouldn't come on? Do you have to leave the heater on when you shut the engine off? I tried it both ways and it still didn't come on, then today I left the heater on when I shut it off. Couple hours later I came out after hitting the button and it was on. WTF? :confused:

Immo 12-04-2010 10:08 PM

Your best bet is to leave it off Auto, put it on the defrost and fans on high before you shut the Jeep off.

jpsmith 12-06-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immo (Post 312086)
Your best bet is to leave it off Auto, put it on the defrost and fans on high before you shut the Jeep off.

Yeah, sure, that would work. But the point is that's not what one should have to do when purchasing a brand new, $40k car with auto-start and climate control. If it's 23F outside and I remote-start the car, I don't want to find the windshield is still frosty 10 minutes later.

Immo 12-06-2010 09:38 PM

^^^A friend has a Caddy SRX, and this is how he does it.

jpsmith 12-07-2010 08:50 AM

This morning it was 18F outside and we got a fresh inch of snow overnight. It took me a little longer than normal to get ready after remote-starting, so it ran for 15 minutes. The windshield wipers were still frozen to the glass after that time. I shouldn't have to remember to turn the hvac to full-blast the windshield when I come home the night before. Especially when the "remote start comfort" program will just alter it when the car is started, anyways.

Radside 12-08-2010 01:04 PM

My heater, rear window defroster, and heated seats start...not the windshield defroster.

Technosavant 12-09-2010 12:07 PM

Mine does push air through the windshield vents, but only once the air starts to warm up, and even then it isn't full blast through the windshield defrost vents.

Knightrider03m 12-09-2010 03:31 PM

I just notice this morning as I was walking outside side of my job that my rear defrost turned on. I didn't know that it does that on the KK :D

mrpositraction 01-12-2011 11:41 AM

My windshield defrot is on when it is cold enough out (don't have an exact temp). I thought it was cool if you get in fast enough, the defrost is on high blast and then turns down when you get in.....only reason I noticed it. I park inside at night and only a had a couple instances after work so far that required windshield defrost, all times, the front window was thawed.