Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   four wheel service light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/four-wheel-service-light-15745.html)

stingray66 12-01-2010 11:03 AM

four wheel service light

My Sons 05 grand has a four wheel service light that come on every now and then and after a day or so it goes out till next year I have looked on line and there seems to be nothing to worr:lol:ie about I have servied this jeep did the rears at 30.000 the trans the four wheel drive unit so I do not think there is any problems so what does this light mean The dealership were we got this jeep has went out of bussiness so it is up to me From what I have read it is a glich in the system

dr.lee.baugh 12-01-2010 02:59 PM

Re: four wheel service light

Usually, this is the symptom described in TSB 21-014-06 REV. A.

If you take it to a dealer, they will verify the 4WD system is working properly, and if so, will reprogram the final drive control module.

Others have found the problem to be related to a low-battery condition, or a ground at various driveline sensors (transfer case, elsd's, etc.), but usually it is just buggy software requiring a software flash.

dr.lee.baugh 12-01-2010 03:05 PM

...Forgot to mention: I do not believe it is possible to flash the FDCM without a StarScan tool, so you are more than likely stuck taking it to a dealer...if you are certain it is an erroneous message, many have simply put up with the error message occassionally popping up.

stingray66 12-01-2010 08:27 PM

I know the four wheel drive is working ok and the problem is there is no jeep dealer close all of them around me went belly up so there is no one to go to get a reflash so I just live with the light It does go out for a while
hell the remotes broke last year I can buy a new one on line BUT need star scan to program them.and snice there is no one around to do this we just use the key and live with out the remotes I have two 04s one 03 and a 05. grands and What gets me if I have a problem with the Electronics there is no dealership to fix it . I am a retired for 10 years and was a ASE master tec So I am now looking to get my own star scan. snice I do all of my own repairs It is up to me to keep them going Man I miss my 57 Fury I had many years ago You DID NOT NEED a scan tool to keep it going Todays cars just has to much junk that can go worng and with dealerships closeing what are we to do with todays junk

yetjeep 12-15-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingray66 (Post 310414)
I know the four wheel drive is working ok and the problem is there is no jeep dealer close all of them around me went belly up so there is no one to go to get a reflash so I just live with the light It does go out for a while
hell the remotes broke last year I can buy a new one on line BUT need star scan to program them.and snice there is no one around to do this we just use the key and live with out the remotes I have two 04s one 03 and a 05. grands and What gets me if I have a problem with the Electronics there is no dealership to fix it . I am a retired for 10 years and was a ASE master tec So I am now looking to get my own star scan. snice I do all of my own repairs It is up to me to keep them going Man I miss my 57 Fury I had many years ago You DID NOT NEED a scan tool to keep it going Todays cars just has to much junk that can go worng and with dealerships closeing what are we to do with todays junk

this happened to mine and also abs light came on and is was the sensor in the tire that set it off

White Chocolate 12-15-2010 02:25 AM

Hey Pal, usually its nothing. Theres a TSB for this. This happened to me, I took it to the dealership and they cleared the code and I had the 4wd system fully checked. It was just a code popping up. It tends to happen to the 05-06 Jeeps, Hope its nothing serious!

06ove 01-02-2011 12:37 PM

I get the same warning on my 06 Overland if I turn the key to quickly to the On position. If I go to the first key position and wait for the PRND to display, then I go to the On position, I don't get the warning. If I go from off to the On position it says Service 4WD. No codes show up on the scan tool. It doesn't have any problem other than that. With 105k miles I guess that's not too bad.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-02-2011 12:54 PM

happened to me as well, dealer reprogrammed it and the code never reappeared.

Camaro614 01-02-2011 01:44 PM

The cold weather was killing my battery, it kicked the Service 4wd on intermittently. I replaced the battery and now its gone.

Hamze 01-02-2011 01:56 PM

That ALWAYS happens to my jeep when i wash her! i spend 20 minutes cleaning the rims alone!!!! i pour lots shampoo and water at them... the light goes off after 2-3 hours of driving... i guess some debris hit the sensors.. got used to it :P

livefortheday2308 01-02-2011 02:48 PM

That same thing happened to me a couple of timse on my old 05 Limited. It would pop up mostly when it was raining and I would hit a bump wrong or something like that and then it would go away about a day later. I took it to the dealer and they scanned it and it was just a sensor messing up in my back left tire. About a year later though it popped up one time and didn't go away and my 4x4 system was all out of wack and was jerking all the way home from work. Turned out the sensor was completely shot this time and I had to have it replaced, but it was only about 300 bucks and took around an hour.

venusfan 01-03-2011 01:52 PM

Mine used to come on if the battery was drained