Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   anybody use load-leveling airbags? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/anybody-use-load-leveling-airbags-15848.html)

DavidESchiller 12-03-2010 01:05 PM

anybody use load-leveling airbags?

over the winter I will be starting on a new project vehicle that won't make for a good street car so my Jeep is going to be seeing some time with a trailer because the closest track worth going to is down in Byron, Illinois. it shouldn't weigh any more than 4,000lbs including the trailer so I think the Hemi should be able to handle it just fine with a brake controller, but I hate the look of vehicles squatting from tongue weight and I would like to install a set of airbags on the rear axle to keep the vehicle more level. has anybody else done this on a WK or heard of any problems from doing it?

Scottina06 12-03-2010 01:30 PM

Re: anybody use load-leveling airbags?

send a pm to Jeeppro or view his threads. he has some I believe

DavidESchiller 12-03-2010 01:56 PM

he's disabled his PM's. I looked through the list of threads he's started but couldn't find one pertaining to the airbags. do you happen to know which one he mentions them in?

Scottina06 12-03-2010 02:00 PM

I dont sorry...I know he posted some pics of his rear bags. he was towing a travel trailer if i remember correctly

DavidESchiller 12-03-2010 02:33 PM

NHWK05 has them installed and has a thread on them. which is great because I almost resorted to asking the ass clowns on jeepforum.

anyway as long as I'm at it, what does the tow/haul button change? is it just like an OD off thing or is it a special program for towing?

2005JGC 12-03-2010 02:56 PM

To show the ease of www.jeep.com - for owners - owners manual... (or your glove box)

When To Use “TOW/HAUL” Mode — If Equipped
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a
heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs,
press the “TOW/HAUL” button. This will improve
performance and reduce the potential for transmission
overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When
operating in “TOW/HAUL” mode, the transmission will
shift to 3rd gear and 4th will be enabled under steady
cruise conditions.

overdrive is prevented using the tow/haul button preventing heat buildup from constant upshift/downshifts

btw I like the interwebz version of the owners manual because its a pdf and you can "find on this page" for quick searching.

DavidESchiller 12-03-2010 03:12 PM

great, thank you.

sorry for the lack of searching lately, I've just got a lot going on this week so I'm trying to minimize the amount of time I'm spending on teh interwebz.

anywho, I think that's it for the n00b questions for today!

grebesbakery 12-03-2010 04:20 PM

i love mine, would never tow with out them!

DavidESchiller 12-03-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grebesbakery (Post 311439)
i love mine, would never tow with out them!

good to hear! what brand are yours?

grebesbakery 12-03-2010 06:06 PM

Airlift, you can setup it up were you can use a bike pump to fill them up manually or you can get the on board air compressor like i did. I installed the pump under the hood by the coolant overflow box and installed the gauge/operating switch in the center console so no one can see it.

I pull alot of different trailers around, but the biggest and heaviest trailer I pull is a 4-place enclosed snowmobile trailer thats well over 5,000lbs loaded. The jeep sits nice and level.

DavidESchiller 12-04-2010 02:38 AM

awesome. I have a portable 3 gallon compressor that I figure I can fill up at home and then carry it around when I tow so I'm just going to go with mounting the valve stem in the cargo bay because I'm cheap :D. I do like the idea of the gauge inside the center console though.

what engine do you have?

NHWK05 12-05-2010 02:31 PM

I have Firestone Ride Rite air bags and love them, i can tow the full max trailer weigh w/o any sagging, but i still recommend a load distributing hitch. Very easy to install.

Mine are just like the air lift but i found better reviews on these.