Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2011 Grand Cherokee - reliability (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2011-grand-cherokee-reliability-15851.html)

SUVfan 12-03-2010 01:56 PM

2011 Grand Cherokee - reliability

I am carefully considering a purchase of a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X - V6 and would really value some insight as to reliability. The new GC is clearly a striking, attractive car inside and out, and I understand that the redesign has been very deliberate, it incorporates luxury concepts from Mercedes Benz, and the quality control has been overseen by officials from Fiat. This is all very encouraging. However, I drove a '96 Grand Cherokee for 8 years and over 100 miles and had some reliability issues. It was a powerful V8 and I loved it but, to be fair, I only had 3 relatively easy years in it, with the rest involving frequent trips to the mechanic (radiator 3x, power steering 2x, serpentine belt snapped several times, other items) and numerous recalls (fuel gauge, wiper issue, brake issue). I've driven other cars known for reliability since '04 and have had much better luck and far less unexpected repair costs. Has the GC been reliable since then? What has been your experience with the 2011 GC thus far? What are your thoughts? Thanks for any input you can provide.

MSCA 12-04-2010 12:43 PM

Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee - reliability

My opinion? You're taking a chance buying a 1st year model after a redesign. Jeep hasn't had the best history when it comes to reliability, which you obviously know first hand. Hell, I wouldn't even buy a 1st year model Toyota because of the potential reliability issues and bugs that need to be worked out on a new model.

Scottina06 12-04-2010 12:57 PM

to be honest...you CANT take the previous 4-5 years of Jeeps and compare them to this new Jeep or any new Jeep from now forward. It seems the quality, fit and finish have went way UPSCALE. IMO....I would take the chance....there really is no better option for the prrice and quality I have seen from the 2011.

GlowingGhoul 12-04-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 311833)
to be honest...you CANT take the previous 4-5 years of Jeeps and compare them to this new Jeep or any new Jeep from now forward. It seems the quality, fit and finish have went way UPSCALE. IMO....I would take the chance....there really is no better option for the prrice and quality I have seen from the 2011.

Actually, he's talking about Jeeps from 15 years ago!

Except for Quadra lift and the Pentastar engine, none of the technology in the WK2 is "new", and in this case, that's a good thing since the major bugs have already been worked out of these systems.

The Hemi engine is 9 years old and the RFE545 transmission has been out for 12 years, in various revisions. Both of these are considered excellent, bulletproof designs.

All the scare talk about 1st year bugs is really overblown. The major systems are rock solid. There are about 60,000 of these vehicles on the road now, and while there have been scattered reports of problems, they are really few and far between.

Get the extended warranty and you won't have any worries.

LJS8510 12-04-2010 03:13 PM

Every new generation Jeep has made improvements in quality. I think that is still true. But like already said I would think twice before buying any first year vehicle.
I leased a first year jeep Grand Cherokee in 1999, the first 2 years it spent more time in the shop than on the road. I eventually replaced it with 2004 Grand Cherokee which was great, with very few problems!

KRY57L 12-04-2010 03:37 PM

I wouldnt buy a 1st model of any car after a redesign. Just asking for recalls & problems.

Scottina06 12-04-2010 04:16 PM

I am proud to say I have a completely trouble free, 0 warranty claims WK Grand Cherokee.......

SUVfan 12-04-2010 05:32 PM

I appreciate your input. Very good points. I test drove a VG Laredo X today. Great value and a nice ride. Mineral Gray is gorgeous. Still debating. Thanks again.

wjs81866 12-04-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 311859)

Except for Quadra lift and the Pentastar engine, none of the technology in the WK2 is "new", and in this case, that's a good thing since the major bugs have already been worked out of these systems.

The Hemi engine is 9 years old and the RFE545 transmission has been out for 12 years, in various revisions. Both of these are considered excellent, bulletproof designs.

All the scare talk about 1st year bugs is really overblown. The major systems are rock solid. There are about 60,000 of these vehicles on the road now, and while there have been scattered reports of problems, they are really few and far between.

I agree

2011JGC 12-04-2010 05:58 PM

The last three cars i bought were first year chrysler products and i have been happy with all of them...,no out of the ordinary or "first year" problems...,

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moosehead 12-04-2010 06:19 PM

All of us who have leap into the WK2 did so with the knowledge there may be first edition bugs, especially with say the Quadra Lift or complex electronics.

At the end of the day, the obvious quality improvements and absolute no-brainer price-value made the decision to buy WK2 quite a bit easier. +1 to GG's comments above.

Meanwhile, buy the Chryco extended coverage and you're off.

Either that, or you can pay $10k-$30K more for a comparable vehicle. YMMV.

MSCA 12-04-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 311859)

Hmmm... that seems like a strange way to think.... First, the Pentastar engine itself is all-new (as you admitted), but that in itself should be a major consideration for anyone in the market for a V6 Grand Cherokee.

Secondly, what do you mean when you say that the major systems are rock solid? Are you kidding? Just because they've been around for years doesn't mean they are rock solid. Jeeps in general aren't known for their reliability....they never have been. That obviously doesn't mean that every Jeep is going to break down or fall apart on it's owner. It just means that you have a better-than-average chance of encountering issues when you own a Jeep. I don't think many Jeep owners would deny that, would they?

First year bugs are a very real concern. Even if the vehicle in question uses "old and proven" designs/parts like a Hemi engine, that doesn't mean the electrical sensors/wiring/PCM aren't quite a bit different. Calibrations change as well. These are the types of things that can easily cause issues on a newly redesigned vehicles. For the most part, catastrophic engine or transmission failures due to mechanical problems are very rare on ANY vehicle. It's the little things that cause the majority of issues today. Which is why you ALWAYS see more TSBs on a first-year redesign and then those TSBs taper off as the model ages.