Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   skid plates on overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/skid-plates-on-overland-15887.html)

suvowner 12-04-2010 04:18 PM

skid plates on overland

an I reading the options correctly, to say that a 4x4 overland will not have skid plates unless you order the offroad adventure group II , which is 275$ extra ?? and further, with this option you loose the cool looking 20 inch wheels ??

Mattwilkins 12-04-2010 04:45 PM

Re: skid plates on overland

Quote:

Originally Posted by suvowner (Post 311897)
an I reading the options correctly, to say that a 4x4 overland will not have skid plates unless you order the offroad adventure group II , which is 275$ extra ?? and further, with this option you loose the cool looking 20 inch wheels ??

That's right. I'm just having them added once mine gets here.

carlosmp 12-04-2010 04:46 PM

thats the same thing I was told at the dealer. But you can always install the skid plates and tow hooks at the dealer as an accessory for roughly the same cost as the offroad package, which is what I'm planning on.

Mattwilkins 12-04-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosmp (Post 311916)
thats the same thing I was told at the dealer. But you can always install the skid plates and tow hooks at the dealer as an accessory for roughly the same cost as the offroad package, which is what I'm planning on.

It's a decent amount more. Parts alone are about 450 and it's a two hour install...so another $150 in labor.

rdalcanto 12-04-2010 05:21 PM

You plan on off-roading with 20 inch rims???

Mattwilkins 12-04-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 311937)
You plan on off-roading with 20 inch rims???

I go down roads with some fairly deep ruts when I go duck hunting. Im not going rock crawling or anything. If I notice it being that bad I'll get some new wheels/tires. I had 20s on my kind ranch and I did fine, admittedly had more rubber though.

Technosavant 12-04-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosmp (Post 311916)

Adding the plates and hooks cost WAY more than the ORAII package. The ORAII is $250. It cost me right at $700 to have the dealer put on the plates (about $500ish in parts, two hours' labor). The tow hooks were another $150ish (shipped) and took me about an hour and a half or so to install.

It's far cheaper to add those things as the vehicle moves down the line and downgrading the rims saves a fair amount of money too. However, to buy the 20" rims you'd be looking at probably two grand (at least) by the time you put tires and TPMS sensors on them.

So you basically just pick; it's probably a wash by the time you'd add the plates, hooks, and get a set of 18" rims (so you don't bend up the 20" ones on a trail).

I do wish they'd made the 18" rims look like just downsized version of the 20" ones.

Bucky 12-04-2010 08:48 PM

Do we know for certain that you can't order the ORAII and just elect the 20" wheels instead of the 18" ones, even if doing so adds some extra cost?

Mattwilkins 12-04-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky (Post 312047)
Do we know for certain that you can't order the ORAII and just elect the 20" wheels instead of the 18" ones, even if doing so adds some extra cost?

I tried, you can't.

xmonger 12-04-2010 10:04 PM

Not sure why Jeep decided to strip the Overland of the off road goodies (stock) starting with the prev gen WK.

It seems Overland WK2s are more common than Limiteds these days. With the WJ, Overland meant recovery points f/r, engine, tc, and gas tank skids, and rock rails. If would have been nice to have Jeep go back to that formula instead of having people retrofit the armor and recovery.

nek121328 12-04-2010 10:36 PM

Yup, approximately two grand $$$$$, but worth it!

suvowner 12-05-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmonger (Post 312084)
Not sure why Jeep decided to strip the Overland of the off road goodies (stock) starting with the prev gen WK.

It seems Overland WK2s are more common than Limiteds these days. With the WJ, Overland meant recovery points f/r, engine, tc, and gas tank skids, and rock rails. If would have been nice to have Jeep go back to that formula instead of having people retrofit the armor and recovery.

second that for sure !!!