Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Told Mobil 1 0w20 Oil Not Compatible With 5.7 Hemi at Dealership Service Department (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/told-mobil-1-0w20-oil-not-compatible-with-5-7-hemi-at-dealership-service-department-15889.html)

Roaster Boy 12-04-2010 04:30 PM

Told Mobil 1 0w20 Oil Not Compatible With 5.7 Hemi at Dealership Service Department

Just returned from the dealership a little steamed this afternoon. I brought my new WK2 in for its first oil change today, and brought my own Mobil 1 0w20 oil (7 quarts) and a K&N HP-2010 filter. As I waited in the reception area for the work to be completed, their service manager came out to tell me that the oil was not compatible with my engine, and it would "screw-up/destroy" my engine. The dealership stated that 5w20 oil was the only compatible oil for the engine, since it has MDS. I then told them that this is ridiculous, and as a mechanical engineer, find this amusing. I then asked the service department to take my vehicle off of the lift, and I would go elsewhere - they told me that they had already drained the engine oil. I was forced to use their overpriced Mobil 1 5w20 oil, and leave less than impressed (feeling a little scammed).

Who is correct here? Is Mobil 1 0w20 oil not compatible with the 5.7L Hemi with MDS? The Mobil 1 0w20 container states that it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 specification.

I will contact Chrysler on Monday and ask the same question. Any insight would be appreciated.

nek121328 12-04-2010 04:37 PM

Re: Told Mobil 1 0w20 Oil Not Compatible With 5.7 Hemi at Dealership Service Departme

I plan on using the Mobil 1 0-20 starting with the first change. Check with Mobil as well as the Chrysler customer service 800 number. Sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke. He didn't want you to bring your own parts.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-04-2010 04:39 PM

Re: Told Mobil 1 0w20 Oil Not Compatible With 5.7 Hemi at Dealership Service Departme

those retards at the dealership don't know anything !!! One of the techs tried to blame my electrical transmission problems on my aftermarket HID kit so that tells you their intelligence level.

jonesark 12-04-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 311909)
Sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke. He didn't want you to bring your own parts.

^this. they usually hate that.

Scottina06 12-04-2010 04:50 PM

why the 0w20? and not the 5w20?

wjs81866 12-04-2010 05:27 PM

I spoke with the Amsoil tech and he stated that the dealers are told this and don't question it. It's just gospel to them, he went on to explain why the 0W-20 is just fine, it's the weight that works the MDS. The 10W or 0W in this case just means it will work that much better in colder climates (As an example) And no I don't want to start an oil thread debate but I think the dealers are just not that knowledable. They simply re-state what they are told. I have been running 0W-20 in the Limited for over a month and if there is anything wrong with it you can't tell. The MDS works fine.

As I posted in the tread "biggest dissapointment" my dissapointment has largely been the dealers themselves. Every car I have ever owned has had some type of issue minor issues and it's the dealers that are supposed to make it right. But all too often it's the dealers that either can't fix the problem or don't know 1/8 as much as we do about their own damn TSB's.

Roaster Boy 12-04-2010 05:28 PM

In Northern Illinois, it gets darn cold :) Thought it would be easier on the start-ups. Also, I plan on going back home to northern Manitoba in the near future for the holidays, and it is usually -40 there.

Scottina06 12-04-2010 06:09 PM

the reason I ask is becasue the people who "designed and build" the hemi(engineers) say that 5w-20 is the best with the mds. It has been made pretty evident any time an engineer has been asked. Me personally wouldnt want to pay for engine repairs just in case the 0w-20 isnt what it "seems" I have also heard of other owners using different weight oils in the hemi's with MDS and the mds acts up until they switch back. I have no idea why it would be so finicky.....weird of you ask me.

wjs81866 12-04-2010 06:15 PM

After some digging on BTOG site I found the following:

A technical service bulletin (TSB) - 09-015-04 and 09-013-04 - says: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”

BOYCHIKS 12-04-2010 06:50 PM

Well, that's a dealership not to go to again.

nek121328 12-04-2010 06:59 PM

It's the 20W vs a 30 or 40 that is the concern. The 0w vs 5w shouldn't be an issue as thinner. Perfect for the MDS. How many oil companies make a 0-20? That's where the confussion can exist.

wjs81866 12-04-2010 07:56 PM

I have gone onto Ram truck sites, BTOG and a few others and it's being discussed. But there are a lot of opinions but not real hard answers. I don't know, it seems some of the arguments are around using 30-40 but not so much 0W? Maybe the fact is that 0W hasn't been tested so they stick with what was? Some have said that if it meets the spec it's ok but then some say the MDS is the deciding factor. I think the real question is does 0W cause any issues with the MDS whether functionality or does it possibly cause it some kind of damage over time. I don't think there is an answer to that beyond opinion, the dealers will stick to their line and everyone has their opinion. Mine is that 0W-20 should be fine, until I hear differently. I guess if by some chance it actually does cause an issue I'll spin on a Mopar filter and take in and have them warranty it... not sure what else to do other then cave and go back to 5W.