Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tow Hook question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tow-hook-question-15911.html)

Dunecrawler 12-05-2010 01:51 AM

Tow Hook question
 
Are the front/rear MOPAR tow hooks good enough for serious recovery? I am thinking about using a snatch strap, not tow strap. Are they up to the job?

Technosavant 12-05-2010 08:55 AM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
According to Jeep, the front hooks are rated to 1.5x vehicle weight. I'll admit to not being a hardcore offroader, so I don't know if that's enough of a safety margin for "serious recovery," but I'd hate to think how stuck you'd have to be for it to not be enough.

95_V8_ZJ 12-05-2010 12:40 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
my stock Mopar (they have the pentastar and the mopar M on them) front tow hooks also say 10000# on each tow hook... so in theory (which you wouldnt be able to on account of traction and weight, and frame strength) you shuld be able to pull 20000# with the front of the Jeep.... i pulled a couple full size f250s and 1 83 chevy suburban 6door 4x4 350SBC 700r4. id say youll be fine.... they bolt to the frame with about 8 bolts each side so..

moosehead 12-05-2010 04:10 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
+1 the hooks are pretty sturdy and each mounts to either side of the frame.

You'd really have to be swamped to the belly to be concerned with using a snatch strap, or even a standard tow strap. Even then, I'd say the anchor points for each end of the strap are a bigger concern ie: don't mount the tow vehicle on a ball hitch.

What is deep sand like, is it similar to mud, or does it give way easier when coming unstuck?

Dunecrawler 12-05-2010 08:55 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 312390)
+1 the hooks are pretty sturdy and each mounts to either side of the frame.

You'd really have to be swamped to the belly to be concerned with using a snatch strap, or even a standard tow strap. Even then, I'd say the anchor points for each end of the strap are a bigger concern ie: don't mount the tow vehicle on a ball hitch.

What is deep sand like, is it similar to mud, or does it give way easier when coming unstuck?

Thanks for the input. Deep sand is normally easier than mud. You don't get that sucking glued down effect. I am not worried about the mounts as I am sure they can take the abuse. I am more worried about the actual hook breaking and to come flying through the windscreen. That is why you never use a tow ball for recovery. there is a good video on YouTube of a tow ball that comes flying through the windscreen. can't find it at the moment.

Remleym 12-06-2010 01:00 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
My Jeep doesn't have the hooks but does have the hitch receiver. I don't go off roading but do occasionally need to pull someone out of a snowbank here in upstate NY. So I got one of these from Harbor Freight and it seems that it will do the job. I don't even have a ball mounted on it but the tow loop is supposed to be rated for 4,000 lbs. That should be sufficient to pull a vehicle out of snow.


http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...image_1708.jpg

95_V8_ZJ 12-06-2010 04:20 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 312582)
Thanks for the input. Deep sand is normally easier than mud. You don't get that sucking glued down effect. I am not worried about the mounts as I am sure they can take the abuse. I am more worried about the actual hook breaking and to come flying through the windscreen. That is why you never use a tow ball for recovery. there is a good video on YouTube of a tow ball that comes flying through the windscreen. can't find it at the moment.


you needn't worry about the hooks themselves... the way the system is designed is the "frame" "rail" will tear/rip around the plate or (maybe) the standard bolts will snap or shear before the actual hook will do anything...
on a side note, if you attempt a recovery with your front hooks, do it head on. dont put you vehicle sideways, my driver side has a slight bend to it from recovering a swamped-up-to-windshield FJ. we hooked up from the FJ to a ZJ, and form the ZJ we attached it to mine as an anchor because the winch on the other ZJ was dragging it in with it...
Lesson learned
You'll be fine with stock Mopar hooks

MSCA 12-06-2010 04:23 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remleym (Post 312822)
My Jeep doesn't have the hooks but does have the hitch receiver. I don't go off roading but do occasionally need to pull someone out of a snowbank here in upstate NY. So I got one of these from Harbor Freight and it seems that it will do the job. I don't even have a ball mounted on it but the tow loop is supposed to be rated for 4,000 lbs. That should be sufficient to pull a vehicle out of snow.


http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...image_1708.jpg

If you have a hitch, you should have just purchased a hitch shackle. It's really the best option w/hitches.

MSCA 12-06-2010 04:26 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 95_V8_ZJ (Post 312895)
....on a side note, if you attempt a recovery with your front hooks, do it head on....

You should always try to "pull" another vehicle while in a forward gear, which basically means you should avoid recoveries using the front hooks. You're much better off attaching a strap to the back end and pulling the other vehicle if possible.

DGoral31 12-06-2010 04:46 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
old off road safety tip : If you're going to be pulling something out always remember to put a rag, towel or some chicks shirt over the middle of the rope, in between the two vehicles... that way if the tow hook breaks, it doesnt go flying in your rear windshield

nek121328 12-06-2010 05:12 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
A bent tow hook is a sign of character.

moosehead 12-06-2010 05:19 PM

Re: Tow Hook question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGora31 (Post 312905)
..remember to put a rag, towel or some chicks shirt over the middle of the rope, in between the two vehicles... that way if the tow hook breaks, it doesnt go flying in your rear windshield

to stop a slingshot of metal, wouldn't it need to be a parachute sized shirt? ie: she'd need to be a really big chick. just sayin.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community