Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   oil overfill concerns? someone please help! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/oil-overfill-concerns-someone-please-help-15973.html)

hella_wk 12-07-2010 01:49 AM

oil overfill concerns? someone please help!

i have a 2006 4x4 grand cherokee 3.7L v6 and the recommended oil change is 5 quarts. i had a friend do mine and he forgot at the time how many quarts to add. so we just about finished all of the 6 bottles, with a little left in the last bottle. I bought (castro full synthetic). when i checked the dipstick its about 1/4 and inch above the "safe" indicator. Will i be fine, and is this type of overfill dangerous for my jeep??? or should i be okay?

hella_wk 12-07-2010 02:03 AM

Re: oil overfill concerns? someone please help!

when i say "6 bottles" i mean 6 quarts..
answers anybody?

2005JGC 12-07-2010 02:09 AM

did you start the jeep before checking? consider the fact that you have a dry oil filter... if you havent started it yet i promise it will drop down inbetween the marks.

hella_wk 12-07-2010 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 313136)
did you start the jeep before checking? consider the fact that you have a dry oil filter... if you havent started it yet i promise it will drop down inbetween the marks.

yeah Ive driven it for a full day and probably a good 100 miles by now.
from what ive researched its 4.5/6 quarts and 5 quarts with a dry oil filter. Any suggestions? i just dont know if its bad or not to slightly overfill (1/4 inch over the safe indicator)

2005JGC 12-07-2010 04:09 AM

personally I would say your fine, Ive seen cars function with ALOT more and I have also seen them function with ALOT less... Im no engineer but for the 3k miles of your oil change I would not worry about it (personally).

btw this is also my personal opinion, I saw you said synthetic and alot of people whom run synthetic think that they have the ability to extend their oil changes... no matter what you use you should never go beyond the manufacturers specified time. Not that you do I am just making a blanket statement.

Scottina06 12-07-2010 07:23 AM

Jmo.....but I would drain the oil and put 5 qts back in.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

hella_wk 12-07-2010 07:23 PM

yeah i think im just considering redoing it, not really willing to be a test bunny. but thanks you guys! i needed that second opinion

jdcollins86 12-08-2010 12:59 AM

i wouldnt redo every thing just "slowly" open the drain plug till so have a little steam flowing and empty about half a quart

hella_wk 12-08-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcollins86 (Post 313688)
i wouldnt redo every thing just "slowly" open the drain plug till so have a little steam flowing and empty about half a quart

yeah i wasn't really interested on spending another 30 bucks in oil, so i took it to the local oil-stop and they had a pump for this sorta thing. sucked a half quart right out of the dipstick tube

Marlin 12-08-2010 05:20 PM

It would have been fine left slightly over full.

The only issue with excessive overfilling is the crankshaft dipping into the oil, causing oil airation. Quarter inch over full would not get the oil anywhere near the crank. Remember, the sumps on these are designed for wheeling, and the oil moves around a LOT during off road adventures and even whilst on road.

When circuit racing normal sumped road cars, we ALWAYS over-full the sump by around a quart to alleviate oil surge during hard cornering. NO crankshaft is THAT close to the upper oil level :)

Glad you sorted it though ;)

hella_wk 12-09-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 314022)
It would have been fine left slightly over full.

The only issue with excessive overfilling is the crankshaft dipping into the oil, causing oil airation. Quarter inch over full would not get the oil anywhere near the crank. Remember, the sumps on these are designed for wheeling, and the oil moves around a LOT during off road adventures and even whilst on road.

When circuit racing normal sumped road cars, we ALWAYS over-full the sump by around a quart to alleviate oil surge during hard cornering. NO crankshaft is THAT close to the upper oil level :)

Glad you sorted it though ;)

wow that made a lot of since, especially with everything i researched. thanks man! just wish i woulda knew that before haha :cool: