Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Detailing Steps (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/detailing-steps-15993.html)

dirtrider 12-07-2010 03:49 PM

Detailing Steps

Normally I just wash the Jeep then apply a coat of Zymol waz, but all these threads about polish,sealant,clay, etc has got me thinking.

After washing the vehicle what steps do you guys follow for the best/deepest shine. ie: do you claybar, seal, wax, or what?

thanks

Dirtrider

B.P.O.D 12-07-2010 03:54 PM

Re: Detailing Steps

for optimal look and shine

wash two buckets w/grit guard
clay
compound(if necessary heavy swirls,scratches)
polish(light swirls)
sealant(your choice)
wax(carnuba on top brings nice shine)

DetailedImage.com 12-07-2010 04:45 PM

The post above has it right:

Wash/Dry
Clay Bar
Polish (if you have a buffer us a medium and light polish, for hand applications just do a light polish)
Sealant
Wax (optional)

We have great instructions and supplemental information about each step in our detailing guide. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask as well.

For each step here are some recommendations if needed:
Wash/Dry - DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit or DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package
Clay Bar - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube
Polish - Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205
Sealant - Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger
Wax - Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax

I hope this info helps. Save 10% off with the coupon code 10offJG.

Greg

B.P.O.D 12-07-2010 04:46 PM

greg has a great company and i have gotten plenty of things from him!!! FAST SHIPPING as well!

the_cueball 12-21-2010 05:25 PM

My normal 'detail' routine is:

Go round the vehicle with a power washer to remove loose dirt
Cover with snow foam and leave for 5 minutes
Add a second covering of snow foam to add lubrication to the wash stage
Wash with the 2 bucket method
De-tar the vehicle
De-contaminate the vehicle from iron-containing compounds and particles still stuck either on, or within, the paint.
Clay the vehicle
re-wash using the 2BM

If I am going to polish it, then I take some paint depth readings, then start to polish from lightest compound up to heaviest...

Then once all the polishing is complete, seal with 2 coats of wax (for my Jeep I am using Megs #7)

Normally use wax OR sealant... not both...just a waste of products....they are 2 different things and there is no point putting them on a vehicle together.....IMO of course....

Then, once all that is done, crack open a beer, and wait for that bird that always craps on a freshly detailed car!!

:thumbsup:

Scottina06 12-21-2010 08:11 PM

I would NOT clay unless you have a PC to correct the paint...JMO

the_cueball 12-22-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 321454)
I would NOT clay unless you have a PC to correct the paint...JMO

I have never had the need to use aggresive clay on my paint, so with the fine clay I do use, I have never had any marring...

I normally clay the P & J at least once every 2 months and never had any issues....

Some paints will marr easily, but I have found *most* damage is through wrong technique when using the clay and lube....

But having a PC to help, just in case, is always a good idea! ;)

Scottina06 12-22-2010 02:03 AM

yep....most clay jobs I have seen...probably 90%....marred the paint. This is people who are new to claying...

the_cueball 12-22-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 321643)
yep....most clay jobs I have seen...probably 90%....marred the paint. This is people who are new to claying...

Yeah, I would agree!

I think lots of people just jump on the 'detailing' bandwagon and don't stop to think or ask about it....

I remember saying to one guy, claying is just like having anal with your girlfriend...make sure it's clean and use lots and lots AND lots of lube..:eek:

Guy turned out of be a virgin that stayed at home....so it was kind of lost on him :lol::lol::lol:

TheAngryMinnow 12-26-2010 11:19 PM

These guys saying clay, polish, etc, remember thats like once every 3-6 months. a full detail could take a couple of days if you're correcting paint.