Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Consistent startup power (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/consistent-startup-power-16001.html)

Birdman 12-07-2010 07:42 PM

Consistent startup power

Hey,

I'm putting a wireless router (wireless music streaming) in my 07' overland and I plan to have it wired to an AC/DC adapter plugged into a DC source spliced from one of the cigarette lighter plugs. I understand that there is a difference between the two plugs on the center console?
The router takes a bit more than a minute to boot up, and I would prefer it to not shut off for that split second when I start the car and everything shuts off when it starts, or prefer even MORE that it stays on for an extra few minutes after shutting the car off, or even on as long as possible without wasting all the car's battery. UPS? Direct to battery? How would I accomplish this? The input current for the router is 0.2A.

-Birdman

05wkguy 12-07-2010 08:50 PM

Re: Consistent startup power

One plug is accesscory powered, the other is constant. If I remember correctly from when i wired in my aftermarket heated seats, the left one is active with key on accessory and the right side is constant. I'd wire it into the constant side with a switch.

Birdman 12-07-2010 08:54 PM

So you're saying that it's constant even when I turn the key to start and there's that split second of power drain? And my issue is I will never remember to flip the switch and I will leave it on all night. Can I wire a switch in with whatever controls the radio, so its on whenever the radio has power?

robpp 12-07-2010 08:59 PM

thee are TWo kinds of power in the jeep. Battery -AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME. sort of like an interior light. OR IGN meaning when the Key is on the circiut has power.

choose one. then if you want some system of power delays and such look for a module to provide that for your device. there are 2 second delays made for stereos for the ignition delay. the off delay IDK. you need a relay with n OFF circuit timer. they make them. waytechwire sells some.

you can make it do whatever you want; how much is the budget and the elecvtrical know how?

05wkguy 12-07-2010 09:15 PM

Yes birdman,it is constant, even during crank. HOWEVER, any vehicle has some voltage fluctuation during that time which may mess with the power supply...MAYBE, lol

You'd need a remote turn on signal form the factory deck, which doesn't exist, to trigger off the radio, but it turns off during crank as well.

As for the draw, .2 amp is enough to drain the battery if the vehicle sits for more than about 24 hours(when you add that on top of the factory .2 amp draw).

Good luck

Birdman 12-07-2010 09:17 PM

Alright, well I would say that MY electrical know-how is slim to none, as I totally don't understand anything in your second line, however my dad is an electrician, and he is helping me with it, I'm just the one who is good with their hands and doing the research.

I like the idea of having the power when the key turns on, but let me paint you a totally clear picture (as best as I can).

When my cable comes, I will have an AUX cable coming from the back of my REC nav's SAT port (http://www.tss-radio.com/products/chry04-aux-slash-s) feeding into the glovebox, and have that plugged into the router. It's an Apple Airport Express, this is for Airplay purposes. This is where my issue is.

- I get in the truck, and start the car.
- I pull out my iPhone, it connects to the router. The router takes 80 seconds to boot up.
- I pick a song, hit play, and put the phone back in my pocket, switching songs or playlists as necessary
- I pull into a parking lot. I turn off the engine, the radio is still playing. The router should still be running, music still playing.
- 1 minute later, I turn the key and start the car again. The router should STILL be on, my phone still connected, and my music still playing.
- I continue down the road, go home, and pull into the garage.
- I park the car, turn the key off, and exit the vehicle. Everything including the router should be off.

You're talking about delays, it would make the most sense that the router runs for 5 minutes after shutting the car off, in case I'm just running into a store or something, and I don't have to wait around for it to boot up.

05wkguy 12-07-2010 09:19 PM

Yes if you can have a delay circuit made, then that would work.

robpp 12-07-2010 09:21 PM

they sell these relays all sorts of delays. you may find cheaper or easier just an example of some I have seen in my travels.;

http://order.waytekwire.com/DATASHEET/ssrelay.pdf

Birdman 12-07-2010 10:13 PM

Alright,
so my understanding is that I should have the device plugged into the the plug that only runs when the key is turned to ACC, ON, or with ignition, and have a device that can tell when it loses power, and then takes power from the constant power source for up to, for example, 5 minutes, as well as get that split second of power when you turn the car on.
Can this be done? Is that what the relays do?

What tells the relay that the car is off, start counting down?

Birdman 12-07-2010 10:46 PM

OH OK
After a long and complicated chat with my dad, apparently the Jeep has a function that if it senses a power drain at the DC plug with constant power, it will kill power to it after 20 minutes. If this is true, and it does not have a 'power flicker' when you start the engine, my problem is solved.

By the way, my truck is a 3L diesel, and apparently takes much more of the battery for ignition.

What do you say Rob, am I in the clear? All I need to do is splice another head onto the constant line and feed it into the glovebox?

Cordishead 12-09-2010 08:46 AM

What is the router going to in your jeep? You just reminded me of the omnifi system I have sitting in my basement. Do they even still sell anything like this?

http://184.72.239.143/mu/4b76c5c3-ddc6-d5c6.jpg

Birdman 12-09-2010 08:05 PM

Well it's a router so I can connect an iDevice wirelessly to my radio without swapping the radio or using bluetooth (uConnect). Going to buy a dc/AC inverter to test if the router will lose power when I start the car if it's plugged into the content power port on the jeep