Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Winter wheels & tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/winter-wheels-and-tires-16004.html)

JohnS 12-07-2010 08:13 PM

Winter wheels & tires

Living in the Great White North means lots of winter snow, and all sorts of sand, salt and other corrosive stuff on the roads. It doesn't take long for aluminum rims to get chipped and start corroding.

I want to keep the 20" stock wheels in good condition, so I purchased a set of 18" winter rims & tires.

They're 18" Sport Edition TX5 silver painted wheels from Tirerack, & the tires are Falken Eurowinter HS439 265/60R18's from a local tire shop.

Here's a before & after pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...heelsTires.jpg

moosehead 12-07-2010 08:16 PM

Re: Winter wheels & tires

Nice JS. You'll be happy the winter shoes.

Would you mind please posting the specs on that wheelset for other members, including offset?

There just aren't that many 18x8's with adequate offset available yet and a bunch of guys are looking for alternatives.

Cheers

JohnS 12-07-2010 08:37 PM

Here's the link to the wheels at the Tirerack site.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Stock wheel bolt circle is 5" & offset is 56.4mm.

Pressure sensors are Chrysler Part No. 56029398AA.

moosehead 12-07-2010 08:46 PM

^Thanks, that's stock spec and $45 cheaper per wheel than the Mopars. They also look nice with the 5 spoke. +rep to you sir.

rdalcanto 12-07-2010 09:18 PM

I bought that brand of wheel five years ago for my Volvo. The paint is starting to come up near the hub as though the wheel is corroding a little underneath. I've had a very hard time getting them road force balanced at the shop so that they wouldn't cause vibrations at highway speeds, although I have to say I put them back on recently, and I'm not noticing the vibrations that were driving me crazy last year. I can't decide if I want to risk it again to save $200 over the Mopar wheels. Do they seem vibration free to you? Hopefully the quality is there.

Red G8R 12-07-2010 09:49 PM

Looks great....I plan to do the same.
Are they hub centric?

JohnS 12-07-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 313588)
... Do they seem vibration free to you? Hopefully the quality is there.

They seem fine, so far. My rims were road force balanced with no problems. I've had balancing problems with wheels in the past, but each time we found it was the tire and not the wheel causing the vibration.

These wheels are relatively cheap and made in China. As a result, I'm not expecting them to last forever. I used to buy expensive OEM rims for winter, but found they corrode as quickly as the cheap rims in our climate and driving conditions. So, I've been buying relatively cheap winter rims and not worry if they get damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 313612)
Looks great....Are they hub centric?

I'm not sure, but I watched them being installed and they seem to fit snug to the hub with no play before tightening the lugnuts. No adapter was used.

Eurosport 12-08-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 313612)
Looks great....I plan to do the same.
Are they hub centric?

yes they are hubcentric, if you look at the specs on tirerack for them under included hardware there's no hubcentric rings included that means it's hubcentric already ;)
tirerack is very good about stuff like that, they list everything in the specs

Red G8R 12-08-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnS (Post 313643)
They seem fine, so far. My rims were road force balanced with no problems. I've had balancing problems with wheels in the past, but each time we found it was the tire and not the wheel causing the vibration.

These wheels are relatively cheap and made in China. As a result, I'm not expecting them to last forever. I used to buy expensive OEM rims for winter, but found they corrode as quickly as the cheap rims in our climate and driving conditions. So, I've been buying relatively cheap winter rims and not worry if they get damaged.

I'm not sure, but I watched them being installed and they seem to fit snug to the hub with no play before tightening the lugnuts. No adapter was used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurosport (Post 313693)
yes they are hubcentric, if you look at the specs on tirerack for them under included hardware there's no hubcentric rings included that means it's hubcentric already ;)
tirerack is very good about stuff like that, they list everything in the specs

So they are hub centric.....very good, thanks.

Red G8R 12-08-2010 01:07 PM

I was thinking of going with these....but now I see they're not hub centric.
TIRE RACK:
The following wheel-specific hardware will be included with your order at no additional charge.
(20) Required lugnut for vehicle (Nickel Plated)
(4) Required centering ring

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...de_b_ci3_l.jpg

Devilsmed98 12-13-2010 02:05 PM

So being the one that pushed my mom to get the WKII by telling her how amazing Jeep's 4wd system is, I'm going to feel terrible if her Jeep doesn't handle well in the snow/slush. I live in New Jersey where we get light to moderate snow and often times slush. She has the 5.7L Overland with the QDII. Which is great except for the 20" rims she has. How are these in the snow?

I have been looking for a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires for her but there are many more choices with 18". Will there be a problem with the computer, or speedometer going from 20" to 18"? If I keep the outside diameter the same I should be alright correct?

Technosavant 12-13-2010 02:44 PM

They look nice. I have some Sport Edition rims on my wife's Acura for winter shoes.

I will say that with the centering ring (if anybody gets wheels that need them), do yourself a favor and put some grease or anti-seize on them. Those rings can corrode and stick to the rotor- when I pulled the rims off this past spring, they didn't want to come off.