Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Hydraulic cooling fan bearing noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/hydraulic-cooling-fan-bearing-noise-16048.html)

Frango100 12-08-2010 08:08 PM

Hydraulic cooling fan bearing noise

My hydraulic cooling fan bearings are making some noise, eventhough not yet at a point that im really getting worried. Sounds like the bearings run dry. But before it all gets bad i would like to know if someone already changed those bearings or has lubricated them in any way. Jeep manual says that hydraulic drive has no serviceable parts and has to be changed as an assy, but i always use the moto that everything is possible, until the contrary is proven:D.
So any magic mechanic in our garage who has an idea?

cheapjeep 12-08-2010 11:06 PM

Re: Hydraulic cooling fan bearing noise

Frank unhook the temp sensor between the ac and alt. This will ramp the fan up to high to see if the pitch of the noise changes with fan speed. The reason I'm saying this is it could be your water pump. When my pump went at 48k it would squeal/ screech at certain engine rpm. Hope it's the water pump cause that's a piece of cake to change. You don't even have to pull a hose.If it is the fan let me know and I'll tell ya how to make a special wrench to get those pesky lower shroud bolts off.Good luck bud.

mjl2610 12-09-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 314307)
Frank unhook the temp sensor between the ac and alt. This will ramp the fan up to high to see if the pitch of the noise changes with fan speed. The reason I'm saying this is it could be your water pump. When my pump went at 48k it would squeal/ screech at certain engine rpm. Hope it's the water pump cause that's a piece of cake to change. You don't even have to pull a hose.If it is the fan let me know and I'll tell ya how to make a special wrench to get those pesky lower shroud bolts off.Good luck bud.

I am seeing a similar issue on my mothers 03 4.7L HO. Can you provide a picture of this sensor to disconnect to test??

Frango100 12-10-2010 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The sensor is a little bit hidden in between the alternator and airco compressor. Its a little bit a pain to get the senor connector of, due to the small space available. But i think that you won't hear any bearing noise anymore when the fan ramps up to full speed, because it makes quite some noise.
I used a stetoscope, quite cheap thing, but you can really point out exactly where the noise is coming from. The temp sensor is item 1 on the drawing.

mjl2610 12-11-2010 10:33 AM

Well, thanks for this. I will take a look at it today when i get a chance and see what happens.

Planenut 12-11-2010 09:58 PM

I'm following this thread as well. I've started my own thread regarding hydraulic fan noise.