Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Durango Springs on the WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/durango-springs-on-the-wk2-16076.html)

blackpepper 12-09-2010 12:44 PM

Durango Springs on the WK2?

Who's going to do it first? According to Motor Trend, the Durango out handles the GC on their tests due to stiffer springs/shocks. This also allows for a better towing rating of 6200lbs for the v6 rather than just 5000lbs for the v6 in the Jeep.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

Quote:

With the V-8 Ford Explorer gone, the Durango now claims best-in-class towing with the V-6 pulling an impressive 6200 pounds and the V-8 hauling 7400 pounds. Moreover, with 10-percent-stiffer springs and shocks than its Jeep Grand Cherokee twin, the Durango shines on city streets or backroads, achieving higher g's on the skid pad and faster figure eight times than the Jeep, regardless of engine or powertrain.

B.P.O.D 12-09-2010 12:54 PM

Re: Durango Springs on the WK2?

ooooooooooooo shnaaaaaaaaaaap

blackpepper 12-09-2010 12:55 PM

I remember a bunch of WK owners would switch to the Commander springs for the same reason, so I see no reason not to try this out... quest for fresh!

B.P.O.D 12-09-2010 12:57 PM

indeed! so it out-handled the jeep on the skidpad and faster figure 8 times huh... not surprised:)

blackpepper 12-09-2010 12:58 PM

How come?

B.P.O.D 12-09-2010 01:09 PM

i dunno, just had a feeling. when i drove the wk2 for a week i felt that the shocks and springs were soft and kept telling everyone that, no one believed me:(

it has a lot of play when you take turns. i took the same turns at the same speed that i do with my wk1 and i didn't feel safe in the wk2 at all. i also have the srt sway in my wk1 but thats a diff story.

there were also articles saying that dodge was going to make this competitive and possibly a high end model(possibly srt) so lets see

jeep2011 12-09-2010 01:17 PM

Why not wait and upgrade to the SRT springs if you want a race track GC? I wouldn't think it is just the springs that help get an extra 1,200 pounds for towing.

blackpepper 12-09-2010 01:21 PM

Nothing was mentioned of the track.. Everything MT tested should correlate to real world driving. The original WK had numerous complaints over the soft ride and 'death wobbles' at higher speeds. So people swapped out the Commander springs/shocks because there was yet an alternative for anything better. Then Bilstein made HD shocks and ultimately people figured out that the srt8 setup fit as well, but some might not want a lower ride, just a stiffer setup.

About the towing.. what else makes the Durango tow more than the GC? They share everything else (engine, transmission) so please point the differences out. I love to learn.

Scottina06 12-09-2010 01:31 PM

^^^^heavier???

jeep2011 12-09-2010 01:41 PM

I am sure it has to do with GVWR and braking. The Durango is heavier and longer than the GC, I am sure the brakes are upgraded on the V6 to handle the additional load too. Front springs surely wouldn't have anything to do with the towing. Even the V6 GC with the tow group includes the load leveling shocks (which I would assume could handle the additional weight) if not then the durango also has upgraded load leveling shocks too.

Bmwister 12-09-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 314662)
I am sure it has to do with GVWR... The Durango is heavier and longer than the GC

^ This is exactly why the new Durango is rated to tow more than the JGC between equal powertrains. It's one thing for a vehicle to have the power, but you need a longer wheelbase and more weight in the tow vehicle, assuming you already have enough power, to be able to safely tow a heavier trailer.