Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Winter Grille covers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/winter-grille-covers-16081.html)

AB Jeepster 12-09-2010 02:23 PM

Winter Grille covers

I have noticed that my temp guage is significantly lower in super cold weather. (no mystery really) But, I have checked all over the place and still have not found a winter front for our WK's that would look after the top and the bottom grille openings.

I have a trip planned stateside to spend Christmas in Phoenix. But in order to get there, I have to freeze through Montana, Idaho and the northern half of Utah. Since I have a diesel, it seems it is incapable of producing cabin heat like the gas engines do in similar weather. Anyone on here have something or are able to direct me on where to buy one. Thank you in advance,

jdcollins86 12-09-2010 04:36 PM

Re: Winter Grille covers

i live in alaska, and the red neck thing to is to aluminum foil or card board....

AB Jeepster 12-11-2010 01:44 PM

yah. I was hoping to not do the century old cardboard thingy.. but by the looks of the lack of responses from our fellow forum members, I will do just that ........again...... Thanks JDC

Scottina06 12-11-2010 03:18 PM

I would remove the grille Bernie, remove the painted or chrome portion(depending on your grille) and cut a sturdy material to match the 7 grille openings. Maybe some sort of plastic? Or maybe you could stretch some sturdy vinyl over the grille openings from the back side and then reinstall the painted portion? That would give a clean look as well.

suzieque 12-11-2010 03:39 PM

I have a cloud rider shown in this picture
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/hpim1055.jpg/

I like it.

AB Jeepster 12-11-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 315804)
I would remove the grille Bernie, remove the painted or chrome portion(depending on your grille) and cut a sturdy material to match the 7 grille openings. Maybe some sort of plastic? Or maybe you could stretch some sturdy vinyl over the grille openings from the back side and then reinstall the painted portion? That would give a clean look as well.

that is not a bad idea... really.. I may just try that thanks Scott......

Scottina06 12-11-2010 04:56 PM

sure

AB Jeepster 12-11-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 315816)
I have a cloud rider shown in this picture
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/hpim1055.jpg/

I like it.

I saw your jeep somewhere else while I was surfing.... I am not sure I like the cloud rider. But it obviously works and is practical for you... thanks

jdcollins86 12-11-2010 07:58 PM

what scott said

lavern23 12-11-2010 10:13 PM

I believe I would get some stainless snaps like off of a cj soft top and get a piece of fabric made out of soft top or convertible top material that suits your color taste have it made to the shape of the grill and snap it on when needed. You could also do this behind the grille so not to have the snap parts exposed when not in use. That is what I would do.

BAH101 12-11-2010 10:24 PM

I just installed my high tech winter front. Yup, a piece of cardboard, but I painted it black. Don't even know it is there :lol:.

fatfreddy 12-11-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 314683)
I have noticed that my temp guage is significantly lower in super cold weather. (no mystery really) But, I have checked all over the place and still have not found a winter front for our WK's that would look after the top and the bottom grille openings.

I have a trip planned stateside to spend Christmas in Phoenix. But in order to get there, I have to freeze through Montana, Idaho and the northern half of Utah. Since I have a diesel, it seems it is incapable of producing cabin heat like the gas engines do in similar weather. Anyone on here have something or are able to direct me on where to buy one. Thank you in advance,

I also have the diesel.I had a weather front made for it that just covered the main grill.It was 28 degrees below 0 fahrenheit when I went on a road trip and noticed my fuel milage took a dive.I got thinking about the weather front covering the opening and the intercooler wouldn't be getting any cold air so I took the weather front off and my milage went up 5.9 mpg.So when I got home I cut an opening into it so the intercooler would get air and all is well now.So you don't want to cover up the whole grill.The front still helps make the diesel get up to operating temp a little quicker and stay there and fuel milage is back to normal.This reminded me why you see the big rigs never having thier grills fully covered.Need cold air for the intercooler.I got it made at a buddy's upholsteries shop for $90.00.I could e-mail you an image of it if you want to see it.