Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Catch Can (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/catch-can-16148.html)

jeepster23 12-11-2010 09:06 AM

Catch Can

Seeing how important a Catch Can is to Hemi engines I was curious if anyone with a new WK2 had installed a catch can and if so if any unforeseen installation problems arose.

wk2overland 12-11-2010 09:07 AM

Re: Catch Can

x2 on this, also curious...

moosehead 12-11-2010 11:19 AM

It is a pretty straight forward install, check the WK or Tech forum for a couple of really solid How To threads/posts for the CC.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-to-install-a-billet-technology-catch-can-on-a-5-7l-hemi-and-retain-the-engine-cover-10634.html

I was waiting for CAI availability and install, then will add a CC. YMMV.

whatevrworks 12-11-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 315666)
Seeing how important a Catch Can is to Hemi engines I was curious if anyone with a new WK2 had installed a catch can and if so if any unforeseen installation problems arose.

I find this statement a little strange. If it was so "important" why would manufacturers not include the $2 catch can part to save warranty work, bad pr when problems arise, and damage to Hemi rep? Not saying it's a bad idea just do not believe it is ANYWHERE as critical as you are led to believe. Hemi has been around for a relatively long time without it.

J13ntv 12-11-2010 06:00 PM

I bought one in September but its still sitting new in the box from Billet Tech. I was thinking of selling it to someone on here just because I don't know if I want to install it anymore as mounting isn't a straight forward ordeal, I haven't decided still. It is a nice piece of aluminum, I got the braided stainless lines and a black can.

Navy1 12-11-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 315902)
I find this statement a little strange. If it was so "important" why would manufacturers not include the $2 catch can part to save warranty work, bad pr when problems arise, and damage to Hemi rep? Not saying it's a bad idea just do not believe it is ANYWHERE as critical as you are led to believe. Hemi has been around for a relatively long time without it.

I was thinking the same thing...if its so important to have, why is not not installed as part of Original equipment?

whatevrworks 12-11-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy1 (Post 315987)
I was thinking the same thing...if its so important to have, why is not not installed as part of Original equipment?

Exactly if it was critical or even important to engine operation or longevity it would be included. Manufacturers skimp on extras that are not needed like wooden shift knobs and that sort of thing. NOT on critical mechanical components that will cost them down the line.

moosehead 12-11-2010 11:06 PM

Generally, the CC keeps excess oil, moisture, and some gunk out of the throttle body and engine. It would be easy enough to route a vent hose to the bottom of the engine bay and dump this onto the streets but that is an enviro non starter.

Some theorize the auto manufacturers don't want to add (1) another item customers need to check and service by emptying excess oil soups outta their CC's every oil change, and (2) having that excess CC soup go unemptied and then blow by into the throttle body in big gulps.

Do you need them? Prolly not. But they are a nice mod to keep the Hemi engine and throttle running clean if you care to do so.

YMMV

Navy1 12-12-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 316059)
Generally, the CC keeps excess oil, moisture, and some gunk out of the throttle body and engine. It would be easy enough to route a vent hose to the bottom of the engine bay and dump this onto the streets but that is an enviro non starter.

Some theorize the auto manufacturers don't want to add (1) another item customers need to check and service by emptying excess oil soups outta their CC's every oil change, and (2) having that excess CC soup go unemptied and then blow by into the throttle body in big gulps.

Do you need them? Prolly not. But they are a nice mod to keep the Hemi engine and throttle running clean if you care to do so.

YMMV

I can understand that but doesn't the way fuels are blended today with detergents accomplish the same thing to minimize the gunk build up to keep them clean and running efficiently? Maybe that's why they aren't really needed on today's more advanced engines because the fuel blends accomplish some of that removal...understanding that it doesn't keep it completely clean.

jeepster23 12-12-2010 07:12 AM

All of those that doubt the advantage to using a Catch can ask someone who has one on a hemi to show you how much gunk it collects in just 3000 miles. I dont know about you but when I spend $45000 on a Jeep I tend to want to maintain it the best I can. As for making it standard by Jeep I think that Moosehead hit the nail right on the head with this. "Some theorize the auto manufacturers don't want to add (1) another item customers need to check and service by emptying excess oil soups outta their CC's every oil change, and (2) having that excess CC soup go unemptied and then blow by into the throttle body in big gulps."

rdalcanto 12-12-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 316160)
All of those that doubt the advantage to using a Catch can ask someone who has one on a hemi to show you how much gunk it collects in just 3000 miles.

Could this be the cause of the shudder in hemi models?

hquantum 12-12-2010 10:20 AM

I did not realize the Hemi had the same issue as the Chevrlot LS engines.
I have a catch can on my Corvette and it is amazing what you can prevent from entering the engine.